Biscotti Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I've learned how to make biscotti via the internet (no nonna available), and picked up a few useful tips that I'm passing along.

From Chef John I learned to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it up, then wrap it in plastic wrap for shaping. No need to handle sticky dough.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/09/almond-biscotti-because-winter-is-coming.html

Unlike Chef John, I use a stand mixer and parchment paper (for both first and second bakes).

From King Arthur I learned to spray the baked log with water before slicing to prevent crumbling. Slice the log vertically, then stand the slices on end (with some air gap between the slices) before the second bake. This eliminates the need to flip them half way through (and possibly break some).

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cherry-pistachio-biscotti-recipe

I've found that whole almonds are a weak spot in the biscotti and they may break there when slicing, so I chop them just enough so there are no whole almonds (or whole dried cherries). A slightly longer cooling time (30 minutes) seems to work a little better. I use a sharp chefs knife for slicing, as the serrated bread knife tends to crumble the biscotti.

When I made the cherry pistachio biscotti I used Chef John's recipe and substituted dried cherries and pistachios for the almonds and almond extract, and they turned out really good.

Thanks for posting the tips. I've never tried making biscotti and it's on the 'to do' list. :)

This part of your tips confuses me, " Slice the log vertically, then stand the slices on end (with some air gap between the slices) before the second bake."

This is how I layout my biscotti for a second bake

426d494eff228470f40b1bddacff82ac.jpg

But that doesn't seem to be what you're saying, could you clarify.

That's exactly what I thought tenspeed meant.

Is there a trick to making nice biscotti? I have never made them, because all the biscotti I have tried in North America were hard and dry and not very nice.

That's exactly what I thought tenspeed meant.

Is there a trick to making nice biscotti? I have never made them, because all the biscotti I have tried in North America were hard and dry and not very nice.
Biscotti is supposed to be dry and hard :huh: They're twice-baked to dry them out and make they last longer. They were originally dunked in dessert wine, but these days, people dunk them in tea or coffee.

If you want them softer, you can bake them for less time, but they'll crumble more easily.

Biscotti is supposed to be dry and hard :huh: They're twice-baked to dry them out and make they last longer. They were originally dunked in dessert wine, but these days, people dunk them in tea or coffee.

If you want them softer, you can bake them for less time, but they'll crumble more easily.

I hate the North American ones. When I was visiting Copenhagen, I went to a cafe and ordered a café au lait. It came with biscotti. I rolled my eyes. Then, I decided to give it a try. It was delightful. Yes, it was hard and a bit dry, but it wasn't rock hard. It softened quickly when dunked in the coffee. I was thinking, "OMG, so this is what it is supposed to be like."

The ones that are much harder seem to have less butter in them - the rock hard ones very little. At least that's my experience.

The ones that are much harder seem to have less butter in them - the rock hard ones very little. At least that's my experience.

A lot of European or Italian Biscotti Recipes I have seen have no butter in them at all. I have a Biscotti di Prato recipe with Saffron (no butter) that I love but my family does not - they prefer some of my other recipes because the di Prato were as hard as a rock (but really yummy)!!

Thanks tenspped for the tip about spraying the log with water. I will have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom