Cake Flour US = ? UK - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandora

Assistant Cook
I live in the UK and of course all the best cookie recipes are American and I found a recipe I am dying to try but I have no idea what the UK alternative to cake flour is... Is it plain flour or self raising?

Hello and welcome.

Actually, cake flour is neither plain or self-rising. Plain flour is all-purpose flour and self-rising is all-purpose flour with leavening and salt added.

Here in the US, cake flour is often sold in a box similar to a cake mix box but larger. It is a softer wheat flour which is lower in protein content than AP.

So what's the UK alternative we don't have all purpose flour in the UK we have either plain or self raising or bread flour...

Its a finer flour mostly used to bake cakes and pastry. Pastry flour is almost the same but has a slightly higher protein percent. Cake flour is around 8 to 12 precent and pastry flour around 13 percent.

You can suposedly simulate cake flour by taking a level cup of AP flour, remove a tablespoon of it,and replace with a tablespoon of corn starch.

If you have a lot of recipes that call for it it can be ordered from KingArthur flour's website.

You can suposedly simulate cake flour by taking a level cup of AP flour, remove a tablespoon of it,and replace with a tablespoon of corn starch.

If you have a lot of recipes that call for it it can be ordered from KingArthur flour's website.

LOL...King Arthur Flour shipping to the UK? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom