"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Old 05-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Feastingmadeeasy Send a message via Skype™ to Feastingmadeeasy
Help - Going From Unbleached Flour to Bleached Flour

Everytime I baked cookies in the past I always used unbleached all purpose flour to using regular unbleached all purpose flour, but the problem I have now, when I bake cookies with the regular all purpose flour they are coming out super thin! Like a piece of paper, when I used the unbleached all purpose flour it didn't do that. Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix this problem, I don't want 50 pounds of flour to go to waste

Feastingmadeeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
What do you use for fat in your recipe?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Master Chef
There is no difference between unbleached and bleached AP flour except bleached flour is whiter and has less vitamin E than unbleached. However, AP flour is a blend of hard and soft (high and low protein) flours - and the ratio changes between mills and areas of the country ... so you could be having problems because of using different brands of AP flour - assuming NOTHING else in your recipe, ingredients, technique, baking sheets or oven has changed.

You might pay a visit to Baking911.com - especially the Cookies: What Went Wrong? page.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior Cook
That's odd, because I heard that bleached flour was ideal for cookies, as the cookies remained 'puffier'. What happened to me is the exact opposite of what happened to you. I had switched to unbleached AP flour about a year ago, and I found my super, moist, chewy, thick and PUFFY chocolate chip cookies were no longer keeping the thick puff after cooling. They turned into flat, albeit still tasty, disks. I switched back to bleached and the thick puff returned. Baking is a science, so things like this never cease to surprise me.
Lisa110 is offline   Reply With Quote