"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
Oatmeal Cookies are the bane of my existence!

Seriously, I can not make oatmeal cookies to save my life. I've tried numerous recipes and they all turn out crappy. I really want to make some that are excellant because it's my mom's favorite cookie and she's really sick right now. I made one batch that my mom said she liked but they were more little bitty cakes then cookies. Dad said she was just being nice. *LOL*

Like I said I've tried numerous recipes so I dont have a specific one. I'd love some input and if you have a favorite recipe I'd love to try it then maybe post my results and y'all can tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong.

The batch I made today was bad. RLD is eating them but he will eat anything. He also says it's "missing something".

Help please!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, Anya. I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. When I'm at my "regular" computer, I'll post a tried and true oatmeal cookie recipe that's been in my family for nearly 40 years. Don't worry, you'll get the "right" recipe.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Buy a carton of Quaker Oatmeal, the kind that cooks in one minute. Make the recipe for "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies". I make them with raisins and walnuts. They are the best without question!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Buy a carton of Quaker Oatmeal, the kind that cooks in one minute. Make the recipe for "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies". I make them with raisins and walnuts. They are the best without question!!

I SECOND Andy's post! Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorite dessert. I love them so much, in fact, that I make them at least once a month. I end up eating 2 or 3 and then taking them all to work because I can not be trusted with a jar of oatmeal cookies in the house. The Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe is definitely the best and can be found by following the link. Like Andy, I also like them with about 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans).

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I THIRD That motion!! I ask the DW where she got the recipe for Oatmeal cookies, and she laughed and said off the Oatmeal Box. She does the raisin and puh-con routine! Mmmm Mmmm Good!!!

Enjoy!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm going tohave to try the pecans next time in place of the walnuts.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

i forgot to mention, I also like to use the old-fashioned oats, not the quick oats or the instant oats. it's more "oaty" if that makes any sense

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm going tohave to try the pecans next time in place of the walnuts.

Cool I'll try the Walnuts. We just use pecans because we pick them up behind the house. Looks like a short crop this year. Oatmeal cookies with Walnuts this week-end!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
i forgot to mention, I also like to use the old-fashioned oats, not the quick oats or the instant oats. it's more "oaty" if that makes any sense
Makes sense to me! I enjoy the Old Fashion out of a bowl better too. However with the cookies the Quick 1 Minute works to perfection!

Have Gun!!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
...Have Gun!!

...Will Travel.

Tags
None