Swedish pepparkakor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
These are my favourite gingerbread for Christmas.. I have had them as long as I can remember.
Swedish ginger breads are thin and crispy and take 2 days to do, because the dough needs to mature and trust me when I say the maturing makes all the difference.
If you want Anna Thins like cookies/ biscuits and how we Swedes have pepparkaka , this is it.

Pepparkakor ca 100 biscuits
100 gram butter
250 ml brown sugar
100 ml golden syrup or golden corn syrup or dark corn syrup o ljus sirap or honey or maple syrup . Yes, you will get bit of different flavor depending what you use.
100 ml cream
2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground clove
2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda / baking soda
about 850 ml flour
Cream butter , sugar and syrup in a bowl. Add cream and spices and combine. Mix 400 ml flour with the bicarb and combine. Now add as much flour as you need to get a soft, smooth and slightly tacky dough. Wrap in plastic and leave for at least 8 hours. Now dived the dough into 2 balls, dust with flour and start rolling one of the dough out thin as in 2-4 mm thick ( we say tablecloth thin here, leaf thin is even thinner), cut out shapes and lay them on a baking tray with baking paper. Bake at 200 C or 175 C in fan assisted oven for 8 minutes. You need to keep an eye on them, they go from perfect to burnt rather quickly. Leave to cook on tea towel or a rack.
Oh and if you after 100 biscuits still have dough left and dont want to bake more, you can pop it back in the fridge, it holds for 4 days or you can freeze it.

Back
Top Bottom