Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's what my MIL's recipe says. Interesting - her recipe is very different from CWS's. No corn syrup or brown sugar - it uses granulated sugar and molasses instead.
Maybe it was a recipe that originated in Europe. I don't think corn syrup is a common ingredient in Continental Europe. In Denmark, almost all brown sugar is just white beet sugar with added molasses.

I found those pictures very strange. Not like the ones I had in the late 50's in Germany. I have found them in the grocers here, although not just lately. Only difference seemed to be the ones in Europe I remember as being a little on the soft side. My mom's were very soft, so were mine. The one's in the grocer's now are quiet hard. There were two different coverings. One with Icing Sugar and the other a hard crunchy one.

img_1489794_0_c1348cd0764383b4a42f31b22933d1f0.jpg

img_1489794_1_096c2bc938f5f4c93f3ff28279b96ae2.jpg

I liked the crunchy one!

Maybe it was a recipe that originated in Europe. I don't think corn syrup is a common ingredient in Continental Europe. In Denmark, almost all brown sugar is just white beet sugar with added molasses.

Yes, it's a traditional recipe in Germany. I imagine a recipe with corn syrup was adapted after immigrants from Germany moved to the U.S.

I found those pictures very strange. Not like the ones I had in the late 50's in Germany. I have found them in the grocers here, although not just lately. Only difference seemed to be the ones in Europe I remember as being a little on the soft side. My mom's were very soft, so were mine. The one's in the grocer's now are quiet hard. There were two different coverings. One with Icing Sugar and the other a hard crunchy one.

After hosting three exchange students from different parts of Germany, I have found that the cuisine is as varied as Italian or American. The history of Europe is complicated and intertwined and there are different versions of the same dishes and certain dishes that are specific to certain regions. So there's a lot of variety.

I have to go find the recipe I would like to share so will be back when I have gone through all three of my recipe boxes. I can rule out the 200+ cookbooks, but then again it might even be online. :ermm:

Don't wait, it might be awhile! :LOL:

img_1489807_0_c1348cd0764383b4a42f31b22933d1f0.jpg

img_1489807_1_096c2bc938f5f4c93f3ff28279b96ae2.jpg

I liked the crunchy one!

I like the soft one with the powdered sugar.

For
You know that Pfeffernüsse is German for pepper nuts, right? I imagine there might be some regional differences, but the recipes are basically the same.
I respectfully disagree that the recipes are basically the same. I am well aware that Pfeffernüsse is the German for the cookie. I studied German for 10 years, lived there for a year, and although I am getting older, I haven't forgotten all of the German I learned. The Swedish word is Pepparkakor, hence, we always called them Peppernuts in English (my Grandma called them Pepparkake) and we call the German ones Pfeffernüsse. I have no idea why since my Grandma wasn't German but my Grandfather's mother was...The two recipes are not at all alike, the end result is not the same (one is a very crisp little cookie, the other is a soft cookie).

This is the Pfeffernüsse recipe I was given by the Oma of my host family when I was an exchange student in Northern Germany (Bremen). I translated it when I was living there many, many years ago and when we made them together. I have made them a few times in North America, adapting ingredients as required.

Ingredients
1/2 c shortening (butter--I don't think we used any goose fat or anything else--I always make them with butter)
1/2 c brown sugar
2-3 eggs (depends on size)
1/2 c molasses (blackstrap) (but I am not sure it was molasses--it might have been treacle?? I use blackstrap molasses)
1/4 c rum + whatever is needed for dipping - I like to use dark rhum
1 tsp soda
12 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
1/8 tsp ground cardamon
1-2 tsp anise oil
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c finely chopped almonds
1 c candied fruit (she did lemon and orange peel, sour cherries)
4 - 4-1/2 c flour

More rhum
powdered sugar (North American adaptation, she used a fructose sugar)

Directions: First make the candied fruit (or buy it)

1. The night before, soak the candied fruit in the rum. Strain in the morning. Save the rum.

2. Cream butter and sugar, add the molasses, beaten eggs, anise oil, and rhum.

3. Sift together the flour, spices, and soda.

4. Add the almonds and soaked fruit to the creamed mixture.

5. Mix in dry ingredients. The dough should be about the consistency of pie crust. Chill for 1 hour or until set.

6. Roll into balls about the size of walnuts/pecans. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes on an oiled (I use parchment paper and spray it with oil) sheet. When slightly cooled, dip in rhum and roll in powdered sugar. Allow to age in airtight container with a slice of bread for at least 2 weeks. These are soft Pfeffernüsse like the ones my Dad remembered his grade school friend's grandma making. I have never made them with Anise Extract. I imagine one could add crushed anise seeds to up the anise flavour, but why? Or, one could use Sambuca (instead of rhum).

FWIW, I have made Swedish peppernuts with Light molasses (refined--not sure what it is called--Grandma's Fancy Molasses) when in Canada. Not quite the same flavour, but it works. Perhaps my Grandma made them with Karo dark syrup when she was out of molasses and liked the flavour better...I don't know. I do know we always use dark brown sugar.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a baker, but I make these (almost) every year:

Christmas Biscotti

1/2 cup butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk (egg white used below)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. anise or almond extract
1 tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
1/2 cup chopped candied red cherries
1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
1 egg white
1 tsp. water
1 tbsp. sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened. Add 1 cup flour, then add the 1 cup sugar, whole eggs, egg yolk, baking powder, and extract. Beat till thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour and orange peel. Stir in candied fruits. Divide dough in half.

Shape each portion into an 11x2x1-inch loaf. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Combine egg white and water. Brush mixture over loaves. Sprinkle with the 1 tbsp. sugar. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool loaves on cookie sheet for 1 hour.

Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Lay slices, cut side down, on the ungreased cooked sheet. Bake in a 325-degree oven for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more till dry and crisp. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks. Makes about 36.

I made these tonight. I couldn't chop the candied fruit very well, it kept gumming up the knife, so I put them in the food processor, and pulsed them with 1/2 cup of flour, which did the trick.
They turned out YUMMY. I drizzled a little powdered sugar/water/anise extract across the finished biscotti. Extra nice.

ForI respectfully disagree that the recipes are basically the same. I am well aware that Pfeffernüsse is the German for the cookie. I studied German for 10 years, lived there for a year, and although I am getting older, I haven't forgotten all of the German I learned. The Swedish word is Pepparkakor, hence, we always called them Peppernuts in English (my Grandma called them Pepparkake) and we call the German ones Pfeffernüsse. I have no idea why since my Grandma wasn't German but my Grandfather's mother was...The two recipes are not at all alike, the end result is not the same (one is a very crisp little cookie, the other is a soft cookie).

This is the Pfeffernüsse recipe I was given by the Oma of my host family when I was an exchange student in Northern Germany (Bremen). I translated it when I was living there many, many years ago and when we made them together. I have made them a few times in North America, adapting ingredients as required.

Ingredients
1/2 c shortening (butter--I don't think we used any goose fat or anything else--I always make them with butter)
1/2 c brown sugar
2-3 eggs (depends on size)
1/2 c molasses (blackstrap) (but I am not sure it was molasses--it might have been treacle?? I use blackstrap molasses)
1/4 c rum + whatever is needed for dipping - I like to use dark rhum
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
1/8 tsp ground cardamon
1-2 tsp anise oil
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c finely chopped almonds
1 c candied fruit (she did lemon and orange peel, sour cherries)
4 - 4-1/2 c flour

More rhum
powdered sugar (North American adaptation, she used a fructose sugar)

Directions: First make the candied fruit (or buy it)

1. The night before, soak the candied fruit in the rum. Strain in the morning. Save the rum.

2. Cream butter and sugar, add the molasses, beaten eggs, anise oil, and rhum.

3. Sift together the flour, spices, and soda.

4. Add the almonds and soaked fruit to the creamed mixture.

5. Mix in dry ingredients. The dough should be about the consistency of pie crust. Chill for 1 hour or until set.

6. Roll into balls about the size of walnuts/pecans. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes on an oiled (I use parchment paper and spray it with oil) sheet. When slightly cooled, dip in rhum and roll in powdered sugar. Allow to age in airtight container with a slice of bread for at least 2 weeks. These are soft Pfeffernüsse like the ones my Dad remembered his grade school friend's grandma making. I have never made them with Anise Extract. I imagine one could add crushed anise seeds to up the anise flavour, but why? Or, one could use Sambuca (instead of rhum).

FWIW, I have made Swedish peppernuts with Light molasses (refined--not sure what it is called--Grandma's Fancy Molasses) when in Canada. Not quite the same flavour, but it works. Perhaps my Grandma made them with Karo dark syrup when she was out of molasses and liked the flavour better...I don't know. I do know we always use dark brown sugar.
That is 1/2 tsp ground cloves

I usually toss the candied fruit with some flour and chop it. That isn't on my recipe card.

I made these tonight. I couldn't chop the candied fruit very well, it kept gumming up the knife, so I put them in the food processor, and pulsed them with 1/2 cup of flour, which did the trick.
They turned out YUMMY. I drizzled a little powdered sugar/water/anise extract across the finished biscotti. Extra nice.
Anytime I have to chop a "sticky" fruit (dates, raisins, candied fruit) I toss with a little flour or, if powdered sugar is in the recipe, I will use that. Works like a charm. Like the drizzle!

This was a new one on me, Australian Fairy Bread. Not really a cookie, more for those days when the cupboard is bare and the kids need a snack or tea party.

Slices of fresh supermarket white bread.
Softened butter.
Sugar sprinkles, jimmies, thousands and millions, etc...

Butter the bread, coat with sprinkles, trim the crust and cut into triangles or cut with cookie cutters and serve.

If you give it a google you will see many variations and serving ideas.

FWIW, the cleaning lady grew up in Germany. I baked off some of the Peppernuts while she was here. At first, she contended they were a version of the German cookie. However, when she tasted the dough and the finished product, her comment was "these are not the same."

The ones I had in Vienna around Christmas were like the ones pictured.

The picture shows some with a firm hard icing (top picture) and others with powdered sugar (bottom picture) if I am seeing it properly. Which ones are the ones you had? I've tried them both and like the soft powdered sugar ones because that's the way my mom and aunts made them.

I have three recipes for hard Pepparnötter as they are called in Sweden.
Does any one want them?

I will translate tonight and post the recipes.
Thank you. I can read Swedish, but for the others the translation would be probably appreciated. My Dad has a CD of Swedish Christmas music playing right now...I am going to Sankta Lucia on the 13th at 6:00 a.m. I will do almost anything for potato sausage!

Here's another one I make for the holidays. this was from a friend's Mom. Makes 3 - 4 dozen, depending on the size.

Pecan Balls

1/2 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
2 tsps vanilla
4 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 lb chopped pecans

She did the whole thing by hand. I didn't.

If you have a Cuisinart, pulse the sugar and pecans, just till rough chopped. Then add the rest of the ingredients, pulse until blended. Don't make it mush.

Roll into small balls, marble sized, way smaller than a golf ball. Bake in a preheated 300 oven for 1/2 hour. While still warm, roll in white sugar to coat.

They are quite delicate, but they freeze very well.

SO makes a recipe similar to this one and it's the first to go every year. These are my favorite. She does a second coating of powdered sugar before serving.

Back
Top Bottom