"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Will never make whole wheat flour cookies again

Has anyone ever made chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour? I did since I ran out of regular flour and eek! not too tasty. I can eat them but the kids will not touch them. Perhaps adding half regular and half whole wheat might be better.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have made pizza dough replacing one third of the white flour with whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is too dense to do a straight substitution.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I've never made cookies with wheat flour, but I usually replace half the flour in pumpkin cakes and banana bread with it.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

There goes my quality chocolate chips.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I've never seen a cookie recipe calling for all whole wheat flour. Usually up to 1/2 the flour can be whole wheat.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The recipe didn't call for it, just ran out of all-purpose flour.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

For nutritional reasons, (white flour has almost no nutritive value), I use whole wheat flour in most everything. I buy whole wheat hard flour and whole wheat soft flour. Whole wheat hard flour is also called bread flour, and is used for yeasted products. Whole wheat soft flour is also called cake or pastry flour. Use this flour in cookies, biscuits, pancakes, anything with baking soda and powder for the leavening.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I have another thought on why your whole wheat cookies were not liked by your children.

How old was the whole wheat flour? I usually buy mine in 5 pound bags and store it in the freezer, and keep only one bag out in the kitchen at a time. Maybe the flour was rancid.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

You just can't use all whole wheat flour as a sub for white--it is too strong.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Master Chef

Whoel wheat flour grow on you. The first time I ate whole wheat bread, I liked neither the texture nor the flavor. Now I prefer it by a wide, wide margin because it has more flavor and a rougher, more interesting texture. The same is tru of many cookies, such as peanut butter, oatmeal, no-bake, etc.

I've also switched from pasta made exclusively from semolina flour (wheat enosperm), to whole wheat pasta. Again, initially, the added flavor and texture put me off. But now that I'm used to it, I prefer it.

As others have mentioned, start with part white, part whole wheat. And as everyone gets used to the flavor and texture of whole wheat, increase its amount in your recipes. Also, don't forget about other whole grains such as rolled barley, roled oats, buckwheat, and rye. I was surprised to find that rye flour is milder in flavor than in whole wheat, making it a great choice for breads, biscuits, etc. It is the mollases and caraway that give rye breads their strong flavors. When ommited, rye bread is light and vey mild in flavor, good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None