Brittle disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bansidhe

Assistant Cook
I have tried twice to day to make peanut brittle and faile dboth times.

Recipe is
1 cup water
3 cups sugar.
2 cups peanuts
3/8 tsp baking soda

Sugar is dissolved in water. Then mix is brought to a boil.
The first time I added salted peanuts at about 225F.
Tried to bring this to hard crack.. but
it started to turn white and to "separate" into clumps of individual peanits and white sugar after a minute or so. (before baking soda was added)

The second time, I added to peanuts later, as the sugar mix was starting to turn. I also then added the baking soda... same thing happened.

Why is this happening?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the recipe is deficient. I don't see any butter or corn syrup in that recipe. Also to hit "hard crack" I think you need to heat the mixture to 300+.

Might I suggest a different recipe? Peanut Brittle.

brittle disaster

Thanks for the input. I got the recipe from Julia CHilds famous book,
the Way to Cook.

Also, I tried a recipe with butter too... that didn;t work either I am wondering if I was just shy of hard crack... not too sure.

I may give your recipe a go. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I continue to welcome any other suggestions!

thanks

According to my pastry cookbook, (Culinary Institute of America), it calls for sugar, water, and glucose syrup, bring to a boil, cook until 264f. Then add the peanuts and salt, cook to 318f. After it reaches that temp, remove from heat and add vanilla and butter, then soda.
It also advises a slow stirring. It also says to stop stirring after first mixture comes to a boil, and just skim the surface.

Are you using a candy thermometer? Its pretty essential for brittle. You don't really need it for stuff like fudge (although its helpful) but with brittle you do need it. I've not made brittle for years but as I recall its pretty fast. I think the corn syrup is pretty essential in the beginning and the butter at the end really smooths it out to give you the ease of spreading. Good luck to you. Perhaps someone else will have more knowledge than I.

Peanut Brittle

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
3 cups raw shelled peanuts, skins on
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons baking soda

In a heavy sauce pan heat sugar,syrup and water to a rolling boil, add peanuts. Reduce heat t medium and stir constantly. Cook to hard crack stage 300-310 deg f. Add butter stir until melted, then stir in baking soda and beat with the wooden spoon until it is mixed. Have ready a buttered 17x11 sheet pan. Dump the brittle mixture into the sheet pan and spread to about 1/4 inch deep. Let cool and break into peices and store in an airtight container. This is the best peanut brittle that I have ever had.

Another factor to consider -- once you get yourself hooked up with a viable recipe -- is the humidity in the air. If it's a rainy, snowy day, or just "sticky," Your brittle won't set up, candy thermometer or no.

FWIW, we don't use corn syrup in anything. Steen's Cane Syrup is on deck at Chez Julia. Lyle's Golden Syrup is also a good supstitute, or we make our own simple syrup and cook it down to the right consistency.

Back
Top Bottom