"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Cook

Chocolate covered strawberries

i have made chocolate covered strawberries, by taste , came out preety good ,by looks it came out ....well i layed it out on one side , so therefore one side came out flat.....and i use single use gloves for cooking to save my hands and manicure and can see finger prints how i dipped them...

basically my question is as follows:
1.how to properly dip chocolate covered strawberries NOT to have my figerprints?

2. how to do white chocolate lines across not to make it messy but looking good

thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I don't know about anyone else, but I use long toothpicks stuck into the top, dip into the chocolate using the toothpick, and then I stick it into an old block of styrofoam packing material that's flat and strong enough to hold all of the strawberries that I'm making.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Master Chef

I use Selkie's dipping method. I stick the toothpick in next to a leaf so it does not show when I remove it. I do not bother to dry them on the pick, I live with the flat spot on the bottom. For the white chocolate I put the melted chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag and snip off a tiny corner. When I am done drizzling I throw the whole mess out.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use Selkie's dipping method. I stick the toothpick in next to a leaf so it does not show when I remove it. I do not bother to dry them on the pick, I live with the flat spot on the bottom. For the white chocolate I put the melted chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag and snip off a tiny corner. When I am done drizzling I throw the whole mess out.
thanks! i am concerned with using plastic because it releases unhealthy chemicals, i have small kids .....i am wondering if such can be done in another way
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Roll a sheet of clean paper into a paper cone and snipe off the tip, making a throw-away paper cake-decorator tube.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Roll a sheet of clean paper into a paper cone and snipe off the tip, making a throw-away paper cake-decorator tube.
Waxed paper would be particularly well suited for this.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

MommyNY2, if you are concerned about the chemicals in plastic, are you using organic strawberries?

Since organic food is usually a fair bit more expensive than stuff that isn't organic I use this list: The Full List| Environmental Working Group. It rates "not organic" fruits and veigs by how much pesticide is left in them after washing or peeling.

They also have this handy, short version to put in a wallet: EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides hello| Environmental Working Group. You don't have to sign up for the newsletter to get it. Just look for "Rather not sign up? Get the guide here." below the place that asks for your email address.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Cook

thanks!
you mean ice cream cone and to use the wax paper for the middle? yes?

nope, i don't use organic food, what about process of "irradiation" by which organic food stays fresh longer........i buy reg. fruits/vegies and wash it under water real well, so what...live in NY air is not crystal here either:)))))))

but for babies i use BPA free, metal fork/plate only!!! i think most mommies do same
Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
thanks!
you mean ice cream cone and to use the wax paper for the middle? yes?

nope, i don't use organic food, what about process of "irradiation" by which organic food stays fresh longer........i buy reg. fruits/vegies and wash it under water real well, so what...live in NY air is not crystal here either:)))))))

but for babies i use BPA free, metal fork/plate only!!! i think most mommies do same
AFAIK most organic food is not irradiated. People who buy organic food generally care about what has been done to their food and don't want it irradiated. That being said, irradiation seems to be a fairly harmless thing to do to food. You do a lose a few nutrients, but that seems to be it.

Those lists are based on food that has been rinsed, washed or peeled, depending on the food. Strawberries are number three on the list of dirtiest (in terms of left over pesticides) fruits and vegis. I only eat strawberries when I can afford the organic ones.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Cook

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
AFAIK most organic food is not irradiated. People who buy organic food generally care about what has been done to their food and don't want it irradiated. That being said, irradiation seems to be a fairly harmless thing to do to food. You do a lose a few nutrients, but that seems to be it.

Those lists are based on food that has been rinsed, washed or peeled, depending on the food. Strawberries are number three on the list of dirtiest (in terms of left over pesticides) fruits and vegis. I only eat strawberries when I can afford the organic ones.

i think each person cares what they buy! people want best options for their families. according to process of irradiation, organic foods go through the process to kill bacteria and to keep food fresh for longer. i don't want to eat food that has been put through radiation, even though (for now) it's considered safe. (before smoking was safe as well but after too many people got sick it's not safe anymore).

it's good to have choices, whoever believes in organic food let it be, i personally don't and it's my choice.

what about meat companies like Perdue, they have packaged chicken that says no hormones added and raised cage free, to me something like that is better option then something that goes through radiation.

in all fairness organic stuff does tastes better,too bad it goes through radiation other wise it may be good choice.

Tags
chocolate