"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

Uses for ice cream maker...

Thanks for the tips Andy, I will definitely use them next time I make ice cream. Anything that makes it better is good in my book!

Suzi,
But, but... I need to get back in her good graces!! (and quiting is harder than heck!!).
I know, not heart healthy (neither is the Brown Cow ice cream parlor and she promised to take me there next week! LOL. Last week she had a coupon for Baskin Robins so she took me there... uh.. that makes her guilty too!!)

But, here is a good use for the ice cream maker (From 2003, so I need to get it out and get some new pics!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060803IceCream 004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3782   Click image for larger version

Name:	060803IceCream 008.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3783  

Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Cute pics Buddy - but yes time for new ones - lol !!!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We splashed out and got one with a built in freezer unit so it freezes as it churns & we don't have to prechill.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Churning the mix longer is not a good solution as you can actually churn the cream into butter and that results in a greasy ice cream texture.

That's REALLY interesting. Could I really make butter if I used it when it was room temp? You see, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find realy buttermilk where I live AND butter is outragously expensive (7-10 USD for four sticks) and sometimes out of stock.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post
That's REALLY interesting. Could I really make butter if I used it when it was room temp? You see, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find realy buttermilk where I live AND butter is outragously expensive (7-10 USD for four sticks) and sometimes out of stock.
I think that would only give you butter, if you could churn it long enough. I thought buttermilk was slightly sour thickened milk? DW says you can make it at home just like you can make yogurt, but she isn't sure how.
I want to try some southern fried chicken again hoping I can get it right this time, and for some strange reason buttermilk can be hard to find around here. Making it at home, like the yogurt, would be cool. Gee think of the money saved making your own ice cream, yogurt, and buttermilk! LOL.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I always thought buttermilk was the liquid left over when you have made the butter.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

I had to look it up, I found this recipe and it seems easy enough:
Buttermilk Recipe - How To Make Buttermilk - How To Prepare Buttermilk Recipe
Basically, a chemical reaction that makes it curdle, then you stir it up and they say to use it right away.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post

In order to get buttermilk, you have to start with unpasteurized milk. If you churn regular milk, you'll get butter and a liquid.

Store bought buttermilk is made by adding enzymes to skim milk. The recipe of adding lemon juice, cream of tartar or vinegar to milk is an alternative you can use when buttermilk is not available.

If you want to make butter at home, start with heavy cream and use your electric mixer to churn it, that works much better. Then you have to rinse it and knead it and rinse to get out the liquid that can collect in pockets in the butter. Salt can be added for flavor.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In order to get buttermilk, you have to start with unpasteurized milk. If you churn regular milk, you'll get butter and a liquid.

Store bought buttermilk is made by adding enzymes to skim milk. The recipe of adding lemon juice, cream of tartar or vinegar to milk is an alternative you can use when buttermilk is not available.

If you want to make butter at home, start with heavy cream and use your electric mixer to churn it, that works much better. Then you have to rinse it and knead it and rinse to get out the liquid that can collect in pockets in the butter. Salt can be added for flavor.
I can get unpasteurized milk during the summer at the farmers market so might be worth getting just on occasion instead of hunting around for the buttermilk, which boggles my mind that it is not readily found here except in the higher end stores and very expensive for me.
Might be fun to have the kids churn some butter just for kicks, so thanks for the tips on getting the liquid out.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
ditto that Andy, my 8 yr old asked the other day if we could try making butter...
I remember sitting in a big circle in Kindergarten all taking turns shaking a jar of cream til we had butter. That was fun!!

Tags
None