"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
I have the KA ice cream attachment. I think it makes great ice cream.
Me too. A little bit of time in the freezer after you make it, to solidify it a bit, and it goes from a softer serve to a nice ice cream texture. Ben and Jerry's book has some excellent recipes and readings on ice cream in it.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I have a ginormus freezer in the basement so thats just where I store the bowl. Then I'm good to go when I get a bug up my butt!
Even when one feels the urge to have ice cream right away, one can't, unless you go out and buy it. There's a few hours of waiting involved if you want to make good ice cream, even if you have a frozen bowl ready for use.

To make good ice cream, you have to chill the custard for a few hours before putting it in the ice cream machine. Then let the ice cream harden a few hours more in the freezer.

Otherwise, making ice cream using unchilled custard in the ice cream machine will result in ice cream that's not smooth (because of the big ice crystals that form from the unchilled custard.)

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
Head Chef

Sorry, I use ice, small rock salt and a couple of ziplock bags. Works great.

put ice and salt in one large ziplock, put the ice cream mixture in the other. Place the ice cream bag in side the ice bag and agitate for 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes pretty good ice cream...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedChef View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a good ice cream maker? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require ice - any thoughts?
I love the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (the one that costs around $50) I've had one since they first came out in the early 90's. I make all my own ice cream, and did when I was catering full time, so it gets used a lot. So much that I wore one out, and am on my second one. I keep the container in my freezer all the time (I have a dedicated freezer that is not part of my fridge) so it is always ready to go. We love sorbets, both sweet for dessert, and savory for palate cleansers, so even when we're going low-fat, it gets a workout. It's really an excellent product.

I don't know why anyone would say not to get an ice cream freezer that does not require ice! There are many excellent commercial ones on the market, if you are looking for one for your restaurant. The Cuisinart is great for home use.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I love the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (the one that costs around $50) I've had one since they first came out in the early 90's. I make all my own ice cream, and did when I was catering full time, so it gets used a lot. So much that I wore one out, and am on my second one. I keep the container in my freezer all the time (I have a dedicated freezer that is not part of my fridge) so it is always ready to go. We love sorbets, both sweet for dessert, and savory for palate cleansers, so even when we're going low-fat, it gets a workout. It's really an excellent product.

I don't know why anyone would say not to get an ice cream freezer that does not require ice! There are many excellent commercial ones on the market, if you are looking for one for your restaurant. The Cuisinart is great for home use.

I agree. I have had a Cuisinart for 8-10 years and it makes good ice cream. I like it because I don't have to deal with the extra mess an ice and salt ice cream maker generates.

If I had the the money, I'd buy a self-contained refrigerated unit.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Even when one feels the urge to have ice cream right away, one can't, unless you go out and buy it. There's a few hours of waiting involved if you want to make good ice cream, even if you have a frozen bowl ready for use.
Not necessarily! you've never worked in a restaurant where the ice cream ran out during service and you had to make more on the spot!

Quote:
To make good ice cream, you have to chill the custard for a few hours before putting it in the ice cream machine.
No, you can chill the custard just as well over an ice/water bath!
Quote:
Then let the ice cream harden a few hours more in the freezer.
not so much if you have a separate freezer. You can portion out the soft ice cream into serving dishes and it will set up in about 20 minutes, if you need it.

It's always a good idea to keep one's options open by being willing to experiment... sometimes you can come up with a whole revolutionary new dish or technique!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Right away didn't exactly mean instantly. I'm aware of the custard chilling process.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Senior Cook

The most interesting method I ever saw of making ice cream was nearly instant. The guy on TV (forget who it was, maybe Alton Brown) had chunks of dry ice, and he just kept tossing in a chunk or so as he stirred the custard. And since dry ice does not melt (it evaporates, or "sublimes") it does not add moisture to the custard.

The result was fast, but also very smooth in texture, as the ice crystals did not have time to grow too large.

I have not tried this yet, but I sure plan on it. However, I don't really think this a practical method unless you plan to put on a show at a dinner party.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Master Chef

Dry ice is not edible. I wouldn't want that in my food!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Itzalgud,

Those ice cream makers aren't cheap. That's why I was hoping to find someone who has used them. The one in the picture is around $225. I'd like to hear from someone who owned one before I buy. The other suggestions are great but I want a machine that I can just plug in.

SC

Tags
None