"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Anyone use a weighted grill press for burgers?

I make my burger patties pretty thin, but the inside still seems a bit undone in the center even with high enough pan heat and cooking for what seems like a long time. Does anyone use a weighted grill press to keep their patties pressed against the pan during frying? I'm thinking of buying one. I figure, that, if using one, the outside won't get overly fried to get the center cooked.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

You can lower your heat a bit so the inside will cook before the outside dries out too much..My theory is that if you flatten your patty out after the first flip, while the meat is still raw, you won't squeeze out too much juice because the heat hasn't liquefied the fats yet..I flatten it out very thin because it will shrink up and thicken again as it cooks..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I like a good char on my burgers, but like RL says, you can risk charing the surface without cooking through if your heat is really high and your burger is just a little bit too thick.

When I cook burgers in the kitchen, I do "smash-burgers." I get my cast-iron skillet really hot, drop a ball of meat on it, and smash it flat with a spatula for about ten seconds. I don't smash it again after I flip it.

I have a cast-iron grill press, but I don't use it for cast-iron cook burgers. I don't think it adds anything to the party.

When I cook burgers on the outdoor grill, I go with a thicker patty. To me, the two styles are just different. I like both of them, but they are different.

CD
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I flatten supermarket round made patties using my tortilla press. I'll don't mind some char on the outside. I end up flipping the burgers a lot during cooking just to get the inside cooked without too much char on the outside. I thought maybe trying a weighted press.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I flatten supermarket round made patties using my tortilla press. I'll don't mind some char on the outside. I end up flipping the burgers a lot during cooking just to get the inside cooked without too much char on the outside. I thought maybe trying a weighted press.
From my experience, the weighted press probably won't help you. If you want a well done burger without a lot of char, you will need to lower the heat.

CD
Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
From my experience, the weighted press probably won't help you. If you want a well done burger without a lot of char, you will need to lower the heat.

CD
I suppose lowering the temp will do. I though that you were supposed to first fry each side of the patty at high temp to seal in the juices. I'll lower the pan temperature after sealing in the juices. Fast food places don't cook their patties long. I'm trying to do the same.

P.S. I tried thawing and not thawing out the patties before pan frying them. The inside is still a bit reddish afterwards. The outside was as crusty as I wanted it to get, before adding the cheese to melt on. I'm not concerned about the patty being undercooked for safety reasons, it's just that I find the burger is more flavorful when it's cooked thoroughly, rather than partially raw in the middle. I'll get there.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I though that you were supposed to first fry each side of the patty at high temp to seal in the juices.
I wish this myth would go away. Nothing seals in the juices. Not over cooking keeps meat moist.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I wish this myth would go away. Nothing seals in the juices. Not over cooking keeps meat moist.
^^ +1 ^^
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:

Me too. Searing doesn't seal in juices. It just makes the meat taste better
Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Me too. Searing doesn't seal in juices. It just makes the meat taste better
Somehow this is fixed in culinary mythology, so I expect we will be continuing to correct the misconception for as long as there are cooks.

If searing sealed in juices, then reverse searing would result in dry, unappetizing foods, since all of the juices would have leaked out before the searing step.

Tags
grill