BBQ Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jbib said:
I follow the Barbecue Technique at melindalee.com. Prepare in the oven and finish on the grill. Perfect. I grew up in Austin, Texas and this tastes like home to me.
There is a lot to be said for oven cooked ribs.

In fact, I prefer the taste to BBQ on some occasions - and no BBQ sauce either - just garlic powder and seasoned salt. There is a special taste that comes from crisping the fat on ribs. I cook them for 2 hours at 325F measured with an oven thermometer.

I will have to try a light smoke after oven cooking for a couple hours.

Last edited:
Chef_Jimmy said:
(I will do a shoulder anywhere from 10-24 hours depending on the size) most people hate it...
They gotta be nuts.

Slow smoked pork shoulder is among the best eating around. If you get the internal temp about 180F (I prefer 190F), then the meat falls apart and can be broken up for Carolina pull pork.

Heat it with Kansas City BBQ Sauce (I posted the recipe earlier on this thread) until the mix thickens and put a half cup on a large hamburger bun with some sliced pickles on top, and you have the best sandwich ever.

The mix freezes well so you can do several shoulders when they go on sale and have pull pork sandwiches year round. I always have some sitting in the refrigerator when I can't make up my mind what to have for lunch. Freeze the buns and then zap one in the microwave for 15 seconds to thaw it - that way you will always have fresh buns available.

I tried once making the sandwiches up before freezing them, but they came out soggy, so I do it this way now and get fresh tasting sandwiches every time.

The thicker your mix (from heating it), the easier it is to spoon it on the bun. Mine has a very stiff consistency which means it does not run off the sides of the bun. It tastes better like that because the heating brings out the molasses taste.

I did it guys! I finally made ribs for DH and they were really, really good! Last Thursday I finally buckled down and decided okay this is r day (rib day). I psyched myself up and reread all the posts and just went for it. They were so tender and fell off the bone. Granted maybe a little too tender but they were amazing. Next time I'll pay more attention to the clock and not let them cook in the oven as long and then throw them on the grill. I got side tracked working out in the yard and they were in the oven for 3 hours vs. 2. But know I have the confidence to do it again and again. DH was so happy and tore them up. Thanks again everyone for all your advice! This is my DH favorite meal and now I can make it for him at least once a week or two.

SizzlininIN said:
now I can make it for him at least once a week or two.
BBQ ribs are far too rich to serve that often. You will overkill them and then no one will want any for a year. The most I would serve them is twice per month.

This is my DH favorite meal and now I can make it for him at least once a week or two.

Citizen Bob said:
BBQ ribs are far too rich to serve that often. You will overkill them and then no one will want any for a year. The most I would serve them is twice per month.

I meant once every week or once every two weeks. DH could eat them every day if I served them. And if you could of seen our littlest tear them up. He'd never eaten a rib before and I'd never seen him eat meat so well, as he's not a huge fan of meats. I'll probably go with make them once every two weeks.

I make mine in the crockpot. I buy about 2# of ribs... pork baby backs usually.. put them in a pan of boiling water on the stove.. and boil them for about 15 minutes then transfer them to the crockpot. I liberally brush Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on them and then pour a 12oz can of beer in with them and add a little bit more sauce and cook them on high for about 3-1/2hrs .. or till tender.. and brush them with more sauce about 10 minutes before serving.. i leave the ribs in the crockpot long enuf for the sauce to get warm.

I made bbq ribs last night! Dry rub, then some Bullseye sauce. mmm good.

Attachments

• ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 203
I just threw some things together, but it was based on this recipe:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 3/4 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 tablespoon onion powder