"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #31
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 651
I have no idea what my allergic symptoms are, since I don't eat vegetables if I can help it. LOL

OK, it's mostly green and cooked vegetables I don't like. The problem today is everyone is so focused on health that if I say I don't like vegetables, some people go berserk about it. So I just say I'm allergic and believe it or not, no one give me any flak about it then. It's become a joke among my friends now. If someone doesn't want wine with their dinner, they say they're allergic to wine.

I think I miss a lot by being a picky eater, but at the same time, I also appreciate the good tastes in life too as they appear. I just had Alfredo sauce for the first time in my life today, and it was yummy. Coming up? I'm dousing some shrimp in more homemade Alfredo sauce next month and calling that dinner. Forget the noodles.
__________________

__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have no idea what my allergic symptoms are, since I don't eat vegetables if I can help it. LOL

OK, it's mostly green and cooked vegetables I don't like. The problem today is everyone is so focused on health that if I say I don't like vegetables, some people go berserk about it. So I just say I'm allergic and believe it or not, no one give me any flak about it then. It's become a joke among my friends now. If someone doesn't want wine with their dinner, they say they're allergic to wine.

I think I miss a lot by being a picky eater, but at the same time, I also appreciate the good tastes in life too as they appear. I just had Alfredo sauce for the first time in my life today, and it was yummy. Coming up? I'm dousing some shrimp in more homemade Alfredo sauce next month and calling that dinner. Forget the noodles.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. You don't eat vegetables but you're not allergic to them. There's a big difference there.
Like everyone, you're free to not eat whatever you choose but people with true allergies to foods will understandably take issue with your choice of terms. Jes sayin.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #33
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 651
You guys would be surprised at the pressure there is to drink. Maybe not by waitresses and waiters, but by the people you go with sometimes.

There really are people who keep on pushing it. Same as with a food you may not like. Try this, try that, have a little taste, it won't kill you, have you ever tasted it, how do you know you don't like it if you won't eat it once, etc, etc, etc.

I'm a person who hates saying no more than twice (and I can unequivocally say NO with no problem whatsoever in a way that no one could possibly misunderstand it), so when I have to say it three, four and sometimes five times, then I get a little irritated. Irritated to the point where I quit saying "no, thank you" to shouting, "LET ME EAT/DRINK WHAT I WANT!"

So as not to be thrown out on my ear from some nice restaurants and bars, it's just easier and nicer all round to tell people I can't eat or drink something the first time they ask.

I understand about people with real allergies maybe having an issue with this. I am on anti-depressants and I know about true depression, so I'm not happy when someone says all depressed people need is a kick in the pants. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that there are some things that are worth the stress of getting angry about and some things that aren't. Even though I don't have a thick skin, I don't let myself get upset by little things anymore, but I also don't expect to walk on egg shells for the rest of my life for fear of offending someone, either.
__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You guys would be surprised at the pressure there is to drink. Maybe not by waitresses and waiters, but by the people you go with sometimes.

There really are people who keep on pushing it. Same as with a food you may not like. Try this, try that, have a little taste, it won't kill you, have you ever tasted it, how do you know you don't like it if you won't eat it once, etc, etc, etc.

I'm a person who hates saying no more than twice (and I can unequivocally say NO with no problem whatsoever in a way that no one could possibly misunderstand it), so when I have to say it three, four and sometimes five times, then I get a little irritated. Irritated to the point where I quit saying "no, thank you" to shouting, "LET ME EAT/DRINK WHAT I WANT!"

So as not to be thrown out on my ear from some nice restaurants and bars, it's just easier and nicer all round to tell people I can't eat or drink something the first time they ask.

I understand about people with real allergies maybe having an issue with this. I am on anti-depressants and I know about true depression, so I'm not happy when someone says all depressed people need is a kick in the pants. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that there are some things that are worth the stress of getting angry about and some things that aren't. Even though I don't have a thick skin, I don't let myself get upset by little things anymore, but I also don't expect to walk on egg shells for the rest of my life for fear of offending someone, either.
RR, as you know, this is completely different.

Here's another strategy you might try. After you've said "No, thank you" a couple of times, just stop responding. Give them a look like "I can't believe you just said that" and change the subject or turn to someone else and ask how their food is or some other question.

Saying you're allergic (or celiac, as some people do) undermines people who really are. When restaurant staff hear it from every other person, they get pretty skeptical and that can lead to carelessness. That can cause serious problems for people who really do have reactions to those foods.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #35
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 185
I guarantee that you are not allergic to vegetables. That said, the person who suggested Stroganoff is onto something. So is beef sate: cut into thin strips, marinate in ginger, garlic, and any commercial curry paste from a jar for an hour or so. Then skewer and grill for 2-3 minutes each side. Serve with a jar of Thai peanut sauce and vinegared cucumber slices.
__________________
outRIAAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 AM   #36
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,241
rodentraiser, you need a "Mikey". Or, more like you need to BE a Mikey. Or have you really tried each kind of vegetable and deemed it unlikable? Back when our kids were in 3rd grade our daughter came home and told me one of her classmates was allergic to white milk, so she had to drink chocolate milk. I said to her "honey, you know how we make chocolate milk at home, right?" After she explained that we took white milk and added chocolate mix to the white milk it became chocolate milk, I then said "well, then, she's not allergic to it, she just doesn't like it". If you haven't tried all types of veggies prepared various ways. My SIL insisted she liked her carrots only raw or in soup, otherwise she didn't like them cooked. I roasted them as one of the veggie choices at Easter. After I strong-armed her into tasting a bite she said "wow, those are good" and took a couple full-length carrots. Doesn't like them boiled and buttered, but loved them roasted. Like Mikey, try it - you might like it.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #37
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
rodentraiser, you need a "Mikey". Or, more like you need to BE a Mikey. Or have you really tried each kind of vegetable and deemed it unlikable? Back when our kids were in 3rd grade our daughter came home and told me one of her classmates was allergic to white milk, so she had to drink chocolate milk. I said to her "honey, you know how we make chocolate milk at home, right?" After she explained that we took white milk and added chocolate mix to the white milk it became chocolate milk, I then said "well, then, she's not allergic to it, she just doesn't like it". You haven't tried all types of veggies prepared various ways. My SIL insisted she liked her carrots only raw or in soup, otherwise she didn't like them cooked. I roasted them as one of the veggie choices at Easter. After I strong-armed her into tasting a bite she said "wow, those are good" and took a couple full-length carrots. Doesn't like them boiled and buttered, but loved them roasted. Like Mikey, try it - you might like it.
Er, no. I don't like vegetables and I don't like cucumbers. I am certainly going to try the Stroganoff, though. Hey, there's hope. I never thought I would eat cooked tomatoes either, and the cooked cherry tomatoes I had with chicken breast was to die for.

By the way, this morning I am trying a - I don't know what it is. I had a recipe for Mongolian beef all ready to go, then I saw another recipe for beef and broccoli (or in my case beef minus the broccoli), and I always wanted to try oyster sauce beef. But recipes for oyster sauce beef seem to be few and far between, even on the internet.

Is Mongolian beef and beef and broccoli the same thing?

So I took the best (I hope) of all worlds. I chopped the beef up into 1" cubes and put it in the crock pot with some chopped up onion. Then I made a sauce (I think) consisting of some beef broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic, pepper, cayenne, and ginger and poured it all over the beef.

We'll see if the result is edible.

I still haven't decided to what to do with the rest of the beef roast yet, but a stew with potatoes is really appealing to me now. That figures, because our temps are going up next week. Well, I never was in step with the seasons or even with the rest of world, so why start now? I would have made the stew this morning, but I didn't have any potatoes.

The other recipes here I've bookmarked and/or copied, because they really do look good. I do appreciate everyone posting here. And I am always adding new tastes to my buds, so you never know. Besides, I never learned anything from someone I agreed with.
__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #38
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 651
OK, just tasted the sauce. It's actually good and tastes a lot like oyster sauce, which was what I was after. So now, what do I call this? Is it oyster sauce beef? It's a lot darker than any oyster sauce beef I ever saw before.

I need to say I also put in some brown sugar as well.
__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,827
Just call it Asian-inspired braised beef.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #40
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 651
So then what is the difference between beef and broccoli and Mongolian beef?
__________________

__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef, roast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.