"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Can I freeze a beef tenderloin that has a rub on it...?

Okay I am following this recipe: Thyme and Spice-Rubbed Roast Beef Tenderloin au Jus Recipe - Beef - MyRecipes.com

So far I'm to the point where I've rubbed the tenderloin with the salt, pepper, and thyme (and allspice). I've got it in the refrigerator as the recipe says to do so for 24 hours. Now the problem, something has come up and I am not sure if I am going to be able to use this tomorrow night. Can I, at this point, freeze the tenderloin and then thaw it at a later date and follow the recipe as directed? Or would there be a problem?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Senior Cook

how long do you think you'll have to wait? Beef is perhaps the strongest protein. It seems to last forever. (not literaly) and it also holds up extremely well in the freezer.

I don't think it would be a problem at all to freeze the tenderloin. But if its only going to be a few days there is no reason to freeze it.

I' have about 8 tenderloins in the fridge right now marinating in a fresh herb rub, going to serve it with a truffled bernaise thats spiked with a rich demi. I'm going to keep them in there 3 days before cooking (they are whole not portioned)

Old 12-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook

ooh reread your post, you have salt on it,, hmm your going to get a little curing action happening there. a bit of moisture is also going to be pulled from the tenderloin as it sits. but thats okay it actually won't effect the moistness of the steak as long as you don't over cook it. but over time this could be a problem.

if your going to not freeze it, I'd recomend rinsing the salt off, perhaps with a bit of wine. otherwise you'll have yourself a cured loin of beef!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Senior Cook

okay, sorry for posting three times in a row, but I keep finding new info that I should have seen the first time. my apologies to you and anyone visiting this thread.

I just noticed you posted a link to your recipe. How thoughtful on our part and how helpful to any of us attempting to answer the question. I was analyzing the recipe and I notice that the salt level is pretty low, I don't see a whole lot of over curing going on, so I don't think its anything to worry about.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would think freezing would stop any curing process.

As far as a rub...well, a rub is a rub, not a marinade. I would rub the loin down about 45min prior to cooking and go from there. Rubs can be strong and lend a heavy hand to an already delicate cut.

How far off are you planing on pushing this back?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it. It will take at least 24 hours to defrost in the fridge.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I would think freezing would stop any curing process.
it will indeed, curing requires motility of ions, this cannot happen in a solid state, that why you can only smell liquids (vapor) or gases

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I froze a roast once with rub on it..was one of the best tasting roasts I ever cooked.

Tags
None