"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
Master Chef

Can you freeze leftover steak?

I cooked a large steak for dinner last night and we have a ton left over. DH and I have really hectic schedules this week so I know we're not going to get to eating rest of it. Does cooked, sliced steak freeeze OK?

Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sure does. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and toss it in the fridge. If you don't freeze it, you can make steak sandwiches for lunch.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Just be careful when reheating. Do it as gently and minimally as possible because the steak will keep cooking and might dry out and cook past a point you would want.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Master Chef

I love to cook an extra couple of steaks on the Webber and freeze them. Then, when I take them to work, everyone says; "Where'd you get that!" And I have a steak that tastes just like I took it off of the grill. I just heat it in the microwave until hot, about 45 seconds.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If it gets too done on a reheat later, slice it up and add it to marinara sauce over penne. really good. Or use it in a simple soup or stew. Always good uses for leftover meat.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like to use left over steak or roast for hash. Just add water, beef broth, or stock, add cubed potatoes and chopped onion, some garlic and whatever else you want to add to it and cook until tender. When it is all tender, make gravy. Or leave out the potatoes and when it is tender, drain, add a can of mushroom soup, some mushrooms, and sour cream, and serve over noodles for a quick stroganoff.

Barbara
P.S. We usually don't have a lot left over, so what I do is put left-over pieces in a zipper freezer bag, adding to it whenever I have left-overs, until I have enough.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Master Chef

These are all great ideas--thanks! I'm not a very big steak eater but DH is so maybe I'll just freeze this for him to have a nice steak dinner when I want something all veggies!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

It's also great for Beef and Broccoli, Pepper Steak, Philly Cheesesteak, or heated with a can of gravy and served over Texas Toast with instant mashed potatoes for a Hot Roast Beef sandwich. Or heat with BBQ sauce for a great sandwich. Or make a nice beef chef salad.

I love leftovers!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Since we're all giving uses for the leftover steak, I'll let some of Southwestern exposure come out. Take the steak and chop it into small cubes. Brown with onion, green pepper, some jalepinos, a bit of salt, a splash of lime juice, and a tbs. of chopped, fresh cilantro. Heat it all together and place on the center of a flour tortilla. Add sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese (the cheese is optional) and guacamole, roll and serve up a really good carne asada burrito.

Or, cook the meat in a pan, with a half cup of water and a lid until well done. Then, add a tsp. of cummin, and a tsp. of cilantro. When the meat is tender, shred it with a fork and use it for shredded beef tacos, or enchiladas, or tamales. You can even use it to make tacidoes (sp), you know, those little rolled corn tortillas with the cheese and meat filling.

The meat can also be cut into thin strips and gently heated with your favorite hot sauce, some peppers, onions and lime, and served with crispy corn tortillas as fajitas (though they're usually made with chicken.

And don't even get me started with what you can do with the beef in oriental cooking, or even as beef with noodles and gravy.

There, between what's been posted before me, my suggestions, and the ones that are bound to come after, you should have enough ideas to last you a good while.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

beef it's what's for dinner! eh?

Tags
None