Cincinnati Five Way Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Have any of you made or tasted Cincinnati Five Way Chili?

I first had one of the many versions of it at the cafeteria of the Federal Reserve Bank in St. Louis MO when I worked there in my late teens. That cafeteria was great-----even had a 'chef'----- who probably made even better meals for the Fed Reserve high mucky mucks in their inner sanctorum.

"chili spooned over freshly made pasta and topped with a combination of chopped onions, shredded Cheddar cheese, refried beans or kidney beans, and crushed oyster crackers. If you choose "the works," you are eating what they call Five-Way Chili." (There was NO refried beans in 'my' version but there are kidney beans.

Cincinnati Chili Recipe, How To Make Cincinnati Chili, Cincinnati Chili History, Hamburger Recipes

This version sounds a lot like the version he cooked.

"Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 2 hr

Ingredients:

1 quart beef broth or stock
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate (I didn't use this)
1/2 teaspoon salt and coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
1 to 2 (16-ounce) cans of Kidney Beans (or to your taste)
Toppings (see below)"

(Same link as above. Instructions are there.)

I have the EXACT recipe from the Fed Reserve (was in a newspaper) but I'd have to dig around a bit in the mess I call my desk/files/garbage bin.

I don't remember the chocolate being in his recipe so I'd probably leave that out--- maybe just a smigen of cocoa.

You can see this is probably like stew---- everyone does it slightly different. I'm fixing it tonight and will try to aim for perfection----- as I remember it.:yum:

That might be the recipe I made last year for my PPPC. It looks familiar.

Back
Top Bottom