"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #21
Sous Chef

The recipe was 5 min/lb at 500F, then two hours at oven off. My "blended" time for two roasts was 4 min/lb at 500F, then the same two hours for oven off. The result was a disastrous 155F on one and 145F on the other. Suffice it to say that my crematorium had no trouble with 2 roasts, and I suspect it would not have blinked at 5. So if anyone had any questions about the number of roasts vs. cooking time, I'd have to say fahgedda 'bout it!! Obviously this venture will not happen again without a remote therm., but I have to wonder how they did it in the old days without such a wonderful technology. For a first timer, it would have to be a lot of luck.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I'm off to resole a few pairs of old shoes with 20 lbs of prime rib. [/quote]

I would just have to say respectfully that you chose the wrong way to cook this. I know this is a popular recipe, but I wouldn't/don't try it personally. I open the oven up and test my very expensive roasts.
I don't think I knew that this was going to be your method. Otherwise I certainly would have seconded the internal probe with an external reading, instead of saying you didn't need it. I probably just didn't read--or remember-- well enough. Expensive lesson learned unfortunately.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Atty,
You can't beat a good meat thermometer to get your beef done perfectly!
Linda

Old 12-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Awww, atty - that is horrible.

My Prime Rib Roast for the shelter turned out perfectly. I was extremely pleased! Here's what I did:

Night before: cut the huge roasts into manageable pieces. Made a mixture of olive oil, lots of minced garlic, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, white pepper & dried thyme. Rubbed the fatty top of the roast with the mixture & placed the roasts into large food-safe bags. Refrigerated them overnight.

This morning: set them on the counter for 1 hour. Roasted in a 460 F oven for 12 minutes. Turned the oven down to 400 F for 8 minutes. That browned the outside nicely. Then I lowered the temp. to 325 F & roasted for about 20 minutes per pound - until the internal temp. reached 125 F.

And, yes, I absolutely used a probe thermometer & double checked with the pocket thermometer.

At that point I covered the roasts in the hotel pans with heavy duty foil & drove them to the shelter - about 1/2 an hour away - that was their sit/rest time. That took care of the residual cooking part.

It was fantastic & I'm not really a beef person! I should probably point out that a local restaurant donated the Prime Rib so I imagine they got some very, very nice meat to start with. That didn't hurt!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:14 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Prime Rib Roast is not #l at our house. Another vote for an excellent meat thermometer. My friend did her roast and it was successful: 375 oven for one hour....turn off...after 4 hours oven back to 375 and cook for one additional hour. Roast was perfect..all enjoyed.
This is the method. Time of course would depend on the size of roast. But this was successful and they had well done, medium, rare to please all guests. And as Andy M mentioned....DO NOT OPEN OVEN..during the cook.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Prime Rib Roast is not #l at our house. Another vote for an excellent meat thermometer. My friend did her roast and it was successful: 375 oven for one hour....turn off...after 4 hours oven back to 375 and cook for one additional hour. Roast was perfect..all enjoyed.
This is the method. Time of course would depend on the size of roast. But this was successful and they had well done, medium, rare to please all guests. And as Andy M mentioned....DO NOT OPEN OVEN..during the cook.
This prime Rib roast recipe was a wonderful success for the Christmas Eve

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:25 AM   #26
DC Grandma

Aria,
that is a beautiful pie..I love lemon.................
Appletart,
Your pie is what Aria's pie would look like if i could get my hands on it. LOL

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Dove...Thank You for your comments.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Dove...thnx for your kind words!

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None