Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corned beef is preserved with salt and spices...it is reddish pink. usually a brisket. corning spices include pepper corns, whole cloves, bay leaf, sea or koshering salt.

fyi, in cooking a corned beef dinner, make sure your veggies are cooked in the same liquid your meet is cooked in, even if you pull the meat out and do the veggies later at a higher temp. It is important for the flavor. Also, while perhaps not Irish, your favorite hot sauce is a welcome addition to this meal. And if you don't want to drink green beer, drop a parsley sprig in your stout!

JImmy loves fresh horseradish sauce with his corned beef.I boil everything in the same pot - at different increments of course leaving the cabbage to the very end Then I remove every thing from the pot- meat and veggies bring the water up to a raging boil again throw the cabbage in put a lid on the pot and turn the flame off. I let the cabbage sit in there while the corned beef is resting.

I cook my corned beef in a pressure cooker. It takes about an hour for 4#. I have also wrapped it in foil with beer in a 300* oven for several hours. Comes out delicious that way too. The brisket is definitely the tenderest and most flavorful.

I LOVE CORNED BEEF!! And I make it several times a year. Here is what I do.

First I buy the biggest Corned Beef Brisket I can afford. Then you boil it with the spice packet they provide for 1 hour per pound. Example 4 lb. brisket = 4 hours boiling.

Just before it is done boiling;

Mix together mustard and brown sugar. I really do not have a ratio but you should be able to taste the mustatrd. Preheat my oven to 3oo degrees.

With a basting brush cover the brisket in the mustard/brown sugar mixture and bake for about 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes and slice across the grain of the meat to serve.

This is my Mothers recipe and it is one of my favorites. The only thing better than corned beef is having corned beef sandwiched and corned beef hash for the following week.

Once you are done boiling your corned beef you can skim off the foam created by the brisket and toss in a cabbage, quartered, and let it boil while the brisket is baking. Remove cabbage and strain. Place butter all over it and ENJOY!

Whoo whoo!! I bought my brisket yesterday and cannot wait to cook it up. My favorite meal next to Thanksgiving

It's been mentioned several times, and I would agree with the crock pot method. I always put the seasoning on the fat side of the brisket and cook it in the crockpot.

Don't add the cabbage until much later... and if you really want good cabbage: sautee it in bacon grease ^_^

I usually take the spice packet and run it through my herb grinder and add it directly to the liquid in the crock pot (I'm a believer the crock pot is the only way to go with corned beef). In terms of the liquid I use a combination of water and beer with just a little Jameson's Irish Whiskey. I toss in a bag of pearl onions, some baby white potatoes, and a stalk of celery and let it simmer pretty much all day.

As for the leftovers? I got one word for everybody: Reubens. Slice up the leftover corned beef real thin, put some aged swiss on it, some sauerkraut, slap it all between a couple pieces of dark rye bread lathered with some thousand island dressing and sided with a deli pickle? Doesn't get much better than that.

VickiQ said:
JImmy loves fresh horseradish sauce with his corned beef.I boil everything in the same pot - at different increments of course leaving the cabbage to the very end Then I remove every thing from the pot- meat and veggies bring the water up to a raging boil again throw the cabbage in put a lid on the pot and turn the flame off. I let the cabbage sit in there while the corned beef is resting.

vickiq, did you ever see the seinfeld episode where elaine meets "jimmy", the guy that alks about himself in the third person? i keep reading your posts about jimmy like that, lol.

and lol about the "gavones". hey, i'm a gavone! can i come?

and gb, i don't know about a crock pot. no self respecting irish jews :) that i know make cb & cabbage in anything but a pot of simmering water on the stovetop.

I was just thinking since St Patties day is on a Friday and I don't want to start eating at 9pm the crockpot might be the way to go, but since you thing that is a faux paux then maybe I will just have a liquid dinner on Fri and save the corned beef making for the next night :)

Hey Buckytom- I never saw that episode of Seinfeld.I guess I should have said Jimmy is my husband- and I think you live close enough to be attending this "gavone" fest so come on over!!! We even have an actual authentic Irish guy coming!!!!Other than that we're a mixed bag of mutts!!!
I psted to you-I forget where about living in Suffern near Sutter's BTW have you ever been to NY Steakhouse in the Doubletree Hotel in Ramsey?? We always end up there whenwe don't know what we feel like eating.There's alot of good eateries in Suffern though.

i saw the post about sutter's and ireland's. thanks. i used to date a girl in suffern, and we would go to sutter's mill on tuesdays i think it was for 10 cent wings. we'd sit and order 50 at a time, and drink until we exploded! great wings, fun place back then. i used to play hockey right up the road from you, at the sport-o-rama in monsey.
i've driven past that steakhouse millions of times and wondered how it was. . i'll have to check it out. there's a japanese place near there also that we want to try sometime.
mb & g, or the mason jar are our usual stops up there.
ok, so how often do you go to kinchley's? :)

and i'm only kidding gb. i'm just not a fan of them new fangled contraptions like crock pots an' such.

altho a liquid dinner sounds fine too!

Last edited:
Ahh Kinchley's we were there around Christmas time when our son Dennis nearly gave us both heart attacks and picked up the bill.You see the first dollar Dennis ever got has not seen the light of day since in his possesion!!!We used to go to MB&G all the time-To tell you the truth I don't know why we don't go there anymore- I guess we just got tired of it/KOTO japanese restaurant downtown Suffern is my favorite sushi place and Hacienda also downtown Suffern has some amazing Mexican.Hmmm does guacamole go with corned beef???

I love Corned Beef! My new favorite way to cook it is in the Pressure Cooker - a 4 lb piece of meat and potatoes cook in about 35 minutes under pressure - remove the meat & spuds and slip the quartered cabbage in for about 10 minutes. The beef is tender and flavorful. Ok now I'm starting to drool - better get the meat out of the freezer!:-p

GB, this looks like a good method for preparing it in a slow cooker.

2 pounds small red potatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
1 medium onion -- cut into 8 wedges
1 corned beef brisket with seasoning packet -- (2 - 2 1/2 pounds)
2 cups apple juice
8 thin wedges cabbage
Horseradish Sauce*

Place potatoes, carrots and onion in 5 to 6 1/2 quart slow cooker. Top with corned beef brisket; sprinkle with contents of seasoning packet. Add apple juice and enough water to just cover brisket.

Cover; cook on low setting for 10-12 hours.

About 40 minutes before serving, remove beef from slow cooker; Place on serving platter and cover to keep warm. Add cabbage wedges to vegetables and broth in slow cooker. Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook an additional 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.

To serve, cut corned beef across grain into thin slices. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables from slow cooker. Serve corned beef and vegetables with sauce.

Horseradish Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Combine all ingredients, mix well.

Source: "Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks - The Slow Cooker - March 2003"

Here are some alternate cooking methods, i.e. grilling, baking, etc.:

Grilling:
http://bbq.about.com/od/beef/a/aa031205a.htm

Baking:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/cornedbeefandbrisket/r/bl30617u.htm

This one incorporates beer:
http://www.reinhartfoodservice.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&articleType=ArticleView&articleId=42

I like to cook corned beef in the oven. At work we have corned beef and cabbage every year at St. Paddy's day time. I put 3-4 corned beef roasts in a large roasting pan with 3-4 wedged onions and 1 head of peeled garlic cloves, and a an ample handful or two of pickling spice. Add water until about 1/2 way up the sides of the briskets. Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for at least 4-5 hours. The veggies are cooked separate with some pickling spices added for flavor. We cook the veggies separate from the meat to accommodate the vegetatarians at our work place. This year we are cooking 9 corned beef briskets about 3-4 lbs. a piece.

Corned beef on the grill is a slow and draen out process. However, if you cook it for about five minutes per side, over direct coals, with the cover on, then throw it into the pressure cooker for another 20 minutes, you will ahve some of the best corned beef you've ever tasted. The fire gives it such a wonderful flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I bought a nice corned beef yesterday. Tomorrow, I'll put it in the crockpot with a beer and and the seasoning packet. After the beef is done, I'll remove it from the juice, add cabbage, carrots and potatoes and let them cook in the juice until done.
That way, HB can have his corned beef sandwich without it being "tainted" by the cabbage.

Did you know...

"The connection between Ireland and corned beef dates to colonial times in Boston, when meat was imported from Ireland and preserved in salt, said Kevin O'Neill, history professor in the Irish Studies program at Boston College. The result - corned beef - was associated with Ireland."

Just a little item I ran across on the web today.

Back
Top Bottom