Favorite Cut of Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
What is your favorite cut of steak, preferred method of cooking and special recipe you care to share?

Definitely filet. I just set it out for 20 minutes or so, lightly rub with olive oil, salt, and grill to medium rare. MMMmmm.......

Rib eye is also good, prepared the same way.

I like filet too - I don't make it much though, so however the restaurant does it is the way I like it.

I also like Tbones and Porterhouse (are they the same?) grilled medium rare. Yum!

My favorite, from my fathers knee:) Cast iron skillet, red hot, sprinkle bottom of pan with salt, rub either a filet or rib eye with evoo,put into screamin hot pan, leave til it does not stick, about 3 minutes, turn and cook 4 -5 minutes more,remove from pan,top with a pat of butter mixed with garlic,parsley and favorite herb if any, me just butter and garlic, slap it on a thick piece of french bread toast and enjoy.

kadesma

Michelemarie said:
I like filet too - I don't make it much though, so however the restaurant does it is the way I like it.

I also like Tbones and Porterhouse (are they the same?) grilled medium rare. Yum!

MM

The T-bone and Porterhouse are both cut from the loin..They offer two steaks in one...One side.. the larger is Top loin..alone it is called Stripsteak, N.Y.Strip K. C Strip and maybe others as well...The other side(smaller) is filet...alone it is obviously filet mignon. The Porterhouse has more/larger piece of filet so usually demands a premium price...T-bones at times can have little or no filet atached....I prefer the Porterhouse as I think it is the best bang for the buck...more filet.;)

Last edited:
I like both filet and ribeye - if it's a filet I want it "black and blue" with a COLD center. Ribeye I want rare. Both are just salt and pepper rubbed with olive oil.

My favorite cut is a bone-in rib steak (cut from a standing rib - where, if it is Prime grade, it would be a Prime Rib Steak - a steak cut from a Prime Rib Roast). On the other end - down just in front of the chuck ... there is a bone-in rib steak ... usually about 1-inch thick, and depending on the butcher there are only 1-2 per side of beef (depends on how they cut them)- not as tender but full of flavor. Then Porterhouse or Ribeye - T-bone comes in last.

I'm sort of a purist when it comes to a good hunk-o-cow ... salt and pepper, run through the fire, and it should still Moo when it comes out the other side - hot on the outside with a warm pink center - somewhere between rare and med rare. I prefer over a wood fired grill - but under the broiler will work in a pinch.

I never use sauces for a good cut of meat - but for a T-Bone or something less ... nothing wrong with some Heinz 57, A-1, or my fave from England, HP.

For a fliet mignon - recipe would have to be for "Steak Diane" as favorite.

Last edited:
Definitely bone-in ribeye that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. For an affordable but high quality cut, my choice is Ranchers Reserve. It's regular price is a little high, but they run some great deals.

As for preparation method, it goes as follows:

1. Coat with olive oil
2. Smoke at 225-250 for 20 minutes (flip halfway through)
3. Sprinkle with koshier salt and black pepper
4. Transfer to grill and sear on high for 1 minute per side
5. Move to cooling rack away from active burner for about 5 minutes per side

It should turn out between medium rare and medium. It is unbelievably tender and juicy and will practically melt in your mouth.

porter house grilled to medium rare (when not pregnant)
also prefer mine marinated in have dales marinade and mojo....

Michelemarie said:

Everything that Uncle Bob said plus if I remember correctly from my old meat cutters guide the USDA spec for a porterhouse is a minimum of 1.75 inches of tendloin measured from the bone, and a T-bone has a minimum of 1/2 inch of tenderloin anything less and it is called a Kansas City Strip, KC Strip or a bone in New York strip steak. One note on porterhoses. Ask your butcher to give you a center cut or one with out the vien. This is a tougher piece of meat that is on that end of the loin. It will be in the first 1 or 2 cuts off that end.

I love Ribeyes and NY strips not a big fan of filets. My favorite is a 2 inch thick choice or better top sirloin that if given the time I let air dry in the fridge for 3 days. Pull it out at noon. Season it with sea salt and pepper and let it sit on a rack for 6 hours. I like mine grilled over cowboy charcoal about 6 minutes per side and the let it rest for 10 minutes tented with foil. Always on rare side of med rare.

JDP

Flank (london broil ) for marinating and grilling. Flat Iron is a really nice cut, good for many recipes, and the filet for a fancier cut. I don't do large hunks of meat, but I would share a porterhouse any day with a likeminded med rare afficianato, seasoned and either grilled or broiled.

Thanks for the replys, guys. Knew there had to be some carnivores out there.:chef:

Last edited:
Thick Rib Steak, 3rd or 4th back from the chuck, cooked over a blistering hot slolid bed of charcoal, only salt and pepper to season, and cooked to just between medium rare and rare. Want it more red than pink, but warm throughout.

If I can't throw it on the grill, then pan fry in smokin-hot cast iron skillet.

Ideally, serve with saute'd mushrooms on top, or better yet, a grilled portabella mushroom cap on top.

If I'm going to have a fillet, then I like to grill to that same in-between state as the rib steak, but with bacon wrapped around the sides, and a freshly steamed artichoke heart on the bottom, and a portabella mushroom cap on top. Freshly sliced avacado on the side.

And I much prefer good corn-fed beef over range fed any day of the week. It must be USDA Choice or better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
... and a freshly steamed artichoke heart on the bottom, and a portabella mushroom cap on top... Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

YUMMMMMM!!! Thanks GW :chef:

Flat Iron, Filet, but most of all Tartare!
I love a great quality filet, hand chopped, seasoned and eaten raw with an egg on top with a side of thin crispy fries.

Back
Top Bottom