Forerib of beef - cooking technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Owner

Assistant Cook
All,

Tomorrow I am cooking 4.5 Kg (4 ribs) of Fore rib of beef. It will be simply seasoned and covered in some mustard.

I will be cooking using a non fan oven. There seems to be various techniques either 230 deg for about 30 mins and then 90 deg for around 3 hours or 230 deg for about 30 mins and then 180 deg for about 1.5 hours.

I'd appreciate thoughts on what seems to be the best please.

Cheers

MV

We call that a bone in prime rib or standing rib roast. My method calls to heat the oven to 500F, season the outside of the roast once it is at room temperature, cook it for 5 minutes at 500F, reduce heat to 200F and cook for 1 hour per pound for rare to medium-rare.

Yes, you preheat until it gets to that temp, put the roast in, then DO NOT open the oven until minimum amount of time has gone by. Sometimes, shh, don't tell Craig, I'll leave it on 500 for 10 minutes if I'm late getting it in the oven, that usually shaves 20-30 minutes or so off total cooking time. Remember, the roast must be at room temp.

The opposite process also works. It’s called the reverse sear method. Put the roast into a 225F oven until it reaches an internal temp of 120-125F. Remove it from the oven for one hour. Increase the oven temp to 450F and cook for 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare from edge to edge.

No matter which way you opt for a word of advice:-

if you go with the 500F (that is 260C) route your oven best be pretty clean or you have an excellent exhaust fan, and keep your windows open. This is especially true if you do not often use your oven over 240C.

Just MHO - ask me how I know.

Next time, I think I'll do the 500F in the oven, then transfer the roast to the Egg @200F. I will probably add more time since the Egg doesn't cool down as fast as the oven.

Back
Top Bottom