"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thumbs up Hamburger Spanish Rice With Bacon

This meaty Spanish rice has lots of flavor. Every time I make this dish, it reminds me of my childhood days when I was in grade school, and the delicious hamburger Spanish rice which was served for lunch. Prep time includes cooking the bacon, hamburger, and vegetables.

Hamburger Spanish Rice With Bacon

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

6 slices bacon
1 lb. hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 of one green bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes, cut-up (See *Note)
2/3 cup long grain white rice

In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon slices until crisp; drain on paper towel and set aside.

In the same skillet, along with the bacon grease, brown the hamburger and cook the vegetables; then drain off any excess grease in a colander.

Return cooked beef and vegetables to the skillet, then add the remaining ingredients.

Crumble the cooked bacon; add to the skillet, and stir.

Bring ingredients in skillet to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, and stirring occasionally.

Yields: 5-6 servings

*Note: You can substitute stewed tomatoes for the regular canned tomatoes.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Master Chef

This looks wonderful! I've been looking for new ground beef recipes that are quick and easy. This fits the bill. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Head Chef

This does look good though I'd probably use a red bell since I'm not too fond of green bells, maybe throw in some green onions for the color contrast.

I make something similar I call Mexican rice. Help with budget cooking . We had kind of forgotten about it until I was reminded because of that thread, but have made it a few times since when neither of us has felt much like cooking and didn't really want to go out or even get take out.

Tags
bacon, ham, hamburger, recipe, rice

Hamburger Spanish Rice With Bacon [SIZE=3]This meaty Spanish rice has lots of flavor. Every time I make this dish, it reminds me of my childhood days when I was in grade school, and the delicious hamburger Spanish rice which was served for lunch. Prep time includes cooking the bacon, hamburger, and vegetables.[/SIZE] [IMG]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SyYi8RgUOwQ/UytrTMuT8cI/AAAAAAAAMfs/JMhPSXYp8eQ/s375/006.JPG[/IMG] [SIZE=3]Hamburger Spanish Rice With Bacon[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Prep Time: 30 minutes[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cook Time: 30 minutes[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]6 slices bacon[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 lb. hamburger [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 medium onion, chopped [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1/2 of one green bell pepper, chopped [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 teaspoon salt[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1/8 teaspoon black pepper[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1/2 teaspoon chili powder[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1/2 cup ketchup [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]2 cups water [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes, cut-up (See *Note)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]2/3 cup long grain white rice [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon slices until crisp; drain on paper towel and set aside. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]In the same skillet, along with the bacon grease, brown the hamburger and cook the vegetables; then drain off any excess grease in a colander. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Return cooked beef and vegetables to the skillet, then add the remaining ingredients. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Crumble the cooked bacon; add to the skillet, and stir. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Bring ingredients in skillet to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, and stirring occasionally. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Yields: 5-6 servings[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]*Note: You can substitute stewed tomatoes for the regular canned tomatoes.[/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews