Harry's vietnamese style beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
this one is really simple,tasty & packs a punch chaps.....healthy one too....one almost feels righteous afterwards.....if it wasn't for the beers that is:angel:.also delicious made with skinless/boneless battened out chicken thighs.
not familiar with the us/canadian etc cuts of meat so don't know what you'd call it but i used rump steak.right up there on flavour & can be cooked just like ribeye,sirloin & fillet etc but a bit more of a chew.the battening out sorts that tho'.so
THE INGREDIENTS....adjust for number of diners,i used for 1
a)12ozs(300grms)rump steak cut into 3 strips & battened out to tenderise/thin out
b)4tbls fish sauce....sorry fish sauce haters....it does have to be fish sauce imo
c)lots of ground black pepper
d)4 cloves garlic peeled & minced...i use a fine microplane to get almost a puree
e)hot red chillies finely chopped to taste
f)2 heaped tsps caster sugar
THE METHOD
1)chuck b) to f) in a bowl,whisk to mix,add meat,turn meat to coat,film up & refrigerate for a min of 4 hours....all day is best imo.or chuckit all in a food bag,seal,massage your meat(hmmmmm) & refrigerate
2)you know what's next don't you? correct james...get your griddle pan or grill smokin' hot...you want some charred bits here & there on the meat
3)remove meat from marinade,remove excess,DISCARD MARINADE
4)little oil on your meat(hmmm again) and grill bars or griddle bars if cast iron
5)cook to liking
6)ENJOY
i served it with a green mango/cucumber/peanut/rice noodle & pomegranate salad:
a)peel an unripe mango(i used keitt or kent the non fibrous flesh one's)
b)make lengthwise cuts down to the stone about french fry width then slice vertically,same depth,to create matchsticks of mango
c)slice cucumber in half lengthwise,run spoon along length to remove seeds,slice vertically
d)open a packet of roasted/salted peanuts
e)open a packet of ready cooked rice vermicelli noodles.awww c'mon they are just as good as doing it yourself,cost less than £1 & are already dressed in a little oil to prevent sticking.
f)open a small pack of pomegranate "gems".you wanna buy a pomegranate & go thru' the whole 9 yards?fine...i open packets:LOL:!!
g)few finely chopped spring onions/scallions
h)few finely chopped mint leaves
i)finely sliced mild/medium red chilli
j)mix some rice wine vinegar with some soy sauce,toasted sesame oil & a pinch of sugar to make a quick dressing
k)mix it all up....salad done!!

Attachments

• VIETNAMESE BEEF 001.JPG
    VIETNAMESE BEEF 001.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 472
  • VIETNAMESE BEEF 002.JPG
    VIETNAMESE BEEF 002.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 226
  • VIETNAMESE BEEF 003.JPG
    VIETNAMESE BEEF 003.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 208
  • VIETNAMESE BEEF 004.JPG
    VIETNAMESE BEEF 004.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 216
  • VIETNAMESE BEEF 005.JPG
    VIETNAMESE BEEF 005.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Wowzers, looking at the photo's you wouldn't think this was so simple! How can such simple food look so good?! Bet it tasted fantastic as well.

Back
Top Bottom