Houston, TX - Where to buy Filets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightcrawler

Assistant Cook
I live in Houston, and I wanted to cook some filets at home for my mom's birthday. Where should i go and buy them? We have an omaha steaks store by the galleria. But Can i buy good quality, and not extremely expensive filets at a regular store like say...Kroger's or Randalls? HEB?

By the way, I never bought Filets before. So whats the price range am I looking to spend?...we have 7 people

Thanks in advance!

go to the meat market on Richmond,forget the name, but it is on richmond and it's before chimney rock or fountain view..its right off of 610 inside the loop

or go to the central market on westheimer.

You're going to spend alot if you want top of the line USDA Prime filets..

If you want top of the line, that meat market i was telling you about has US Kobe Beef filets which is better than Prime, but runs about 35 a pound...

Prime will run you around 25 a pound in houston.

so 7 8oz Filets Ehhh look to spend around 100 bucks....

Thanks!

No no...I'm not looking into kobe beef...just a regular filet mignon. That's called prime?

Yeah I was expecting to pay about 100. I checked omaha steaks website last night, cause I read about them. They have a coupon for six 6oz filets for $59.99, so $120 total. if you say I can get 7 8oz filets for $100, that's better. I might just go straight to Central Market. Sound good? that's where you say I can probably get it for about $100 correct?

Thanks again!

Omaha Steaks has good sirloins for the price, good to keep a few of those badboys in your freezer and just cook em up when ready, as they come already frozen.

If it's your mom's bday, you want some fresh, USDA Prime filets.

USDA Prime is just a grade of meat, the main thing is the marbling(fat content) to make the meat nice and tender and juicy. That is what is served at high end steakhouses.

USDA Select

USDA Choice

Angus Beef is usually a grade of choice in my experience.

USDA Prime

American Kobe Beef

true japanese wagyu beef

As far as i know, those are in order of worst to best. I've only had true wagyu once and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too rare for my taste, it was barely even seared.

Then you can get into aging, which also can improve the meat...there is dry aging and wet aging. but that is a whole different discussion

Yeah man, the USDA Prime ive seen at Central market is like 25-28 a pound.

get each person an 8-9 oz Filet, i like mine 2 inches thick.

Also, be careful cooking them up man, especially if you've never cooked them before.

My preferred method is to sear them for 2 minutes on each side on MEDIUM HIGH on your skillet, pref in a stainless steel or cast iron rig.

Then throw them in the oven....for 2 inchers, ive found that between 8-10 minutes will give you Medium/Medium Rare

Then remove them from the oven, top with a pat of butter, and wrap them up in foil and let them sit for another 8-10 minutes.

This part is absolutely crucial..if you don't do this, and just serve them right away, when you cut into the meat, all the juices will just pour out all over the plate.

careful with them, ask for advice from some other Chefs here...there are some really good chefs on this site.

Last edited:
For a point of reference friend, this is true wagyu beef

_MG_7250Edit-vi.jpg

Thanks a lot for getting back to me man. Yeah I've been reading up on how to cook them, Thanks. I am planning on making a balsamic sauce to top the filet...it's really good. I had them in italy. Anyway, Two more question and I swear I wont bother again.
1.) The ones as central market, is it cut already or is it a big piece and i cut it at home?

2.) After removing them from the oven, how long should I wait before I top it off with sauce and then serve? Cause I see a lot of people say to not serve it right away, so do I just let it sit on the plate for a minute after i take it out?

Again, thanks dude!

Central market will have them there pre-cut, and also have a piece of tenderloin where you can ask for desired thickness. 2 inch is pretty standard.

Remove them from the oven, wrap them in foil, let them sit for 8-10 minutes, then top with the sauce.

Also, careful making that balsamic reduction. You will need good timing for that brother, it might put alot on your plate.

In my experience once those sauces get to the desired reduction, after that, they start reducing VERY fast.

Keep a very very close eye on it.

May want to keep the steaks on WARM in the oven for awhile after they are cooked and have been wrapped in foil so as you can keep a better eye on that reduction.

and dude, you're not bothering me..glad to help.

thanks a lot man. are you really an executive chef? Anyway, since you mentioned the balsamic reduction...my recipe calls for dry white wine. Now, i've cooked with white wine before, but just wanted to know what your opinion on what wine to use? sauvignon blanc? chardonnay? pinot grigio?

No i am far from an executive chef. I've only been cooking for 3 years..im a home chef :)

not quite a cook because i make my own recipes.

The tagline under your name is determined by post count

As for your wine question, any of those three can possibly work. I've never made a balsamic reduction with white wine, so i'm not sure.

i would make a thread here or ask the guy at the wine store. There will be someone at central market who can steer you in the right direction. Their wine people know their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom