"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
Senior Cook
How do you make the BEST burgers?

What makes the best hamburgers? I don't think I've ever had one with fresh ingredients before & I'm sure that would make a huge difference with there. I've read about squealer burgers in Texas, where ground bacon is mixed in with the ground beef before making the patties. Bobby Flay makes pressed ham & cheese burgers which he says are Cuban-style, they look reall good also. The recipe is here:
Recipes : Cuban-style Burgers on the Grill : Food Network
list all your hamburger secrets here

The bird could eat its way out of the cage. That was very real to me. As an apprentice, I too felt like a bird in a cage made out of bread. I just fed on my limits. -- Lionel Poilane
baking fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
one that`s really inportant is to make sure mince has enough Fat in it, at least 10%, otherwise they end up far to dry.

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with YT, I use nothing but ground chuck, and do not over handle - go gentle when making patties.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef
yesterday I made what DH called, the best hamburger possibly that he has ever had. It was 2/3 rds ground beef (about 90% lean), 1/3 rd ground chevon, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, some garlic powder, and a liberal amount of olive oil. Cooked on the gas weber. I added the olive oil to the mix and also on each side of the burger as they were grilling.

Served it on home made whole wheat hamburger buns, slice of onion, mustard for DH and ketchup for me, and fresh spinach leaves
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I believe as Miss Barb and YT do. Ground Chuck, handled gently. Anything else added to the meat ie. ground bacon, pork veggies herbs and spices is optional. Do not over cook.

Enjoy and have Fun!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Head Chef
the cuban style burgers are the family favorite right now ...
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
I am known for my burgers. My wife still jokes about the time one of my friends was over and after ever single bite he kept saying, this is the best darn burger I have ever had.

I use 75% ground chuck if I can find it. I mix in garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, smoked spanish paprika, salt, pepper, and if you want a kick, ground red chipotle powder. Then I add a few squirts of worcester sauce.

Each patty is about a half pound. Gently form into a patty and put an indent in the center on both sides.

I get the grill nice and hot and put the burgers on. After about a minute I turn off the burners that are directly under the burgers and finish cooking them with indirect heat. There is plenty of heat left in the grates to get perfect grill marks on both sides of the burger.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Currently I like the way they do them at Five Guys instead of my own. And you get that lunchbag full of handcut fries cooked in peanut oil.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Head Chef
I take the easy route and buy the already made bacon and blue cheese burgers from Whole Foods - these are wonderful, juicy and big burgers. So easy.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm a big fan of the burgers we do at work; we grind all of the scrap we get when we cut our steaks. So we use NY strip scrap, tendrloin scrap, and ribeye scrap. We get all that great ribeye fat in there along with that tenderloin meat, and it makes a pretty tasty burger. We don't have to add additional ingredients to it at all.

When I'm at home I add all sorts of goodies into my burgers. Salt and pepper get mixed in along with garlic powder (sometimes fresh garlic as well), some onion powder, bread crumbs, and an egg as a binder. I like to use the bread crumbs because they soak up alot of the juices that you lose otherwise, so it allows me to use leaner beef. I add whatever I want into my burgers really. Sometimes sauteed onions, mushrooms and bacon, sometimes scallions get in there, sometimes I'll make a quick soy-based sauce to go in there, or use a BBQ sauce. One of my favorites is the burger that I was inspired to make after a visit to TGI Fridays. Topped with fried mozz. or fried provolone, colby, american, cheddar, swiss, whatever your preference for your 2nd cheese, as well as bacon. It's a very fatty burger but man is it tasty.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote