"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks all for the recommendations. It is a 3 3/4 pound sucker, so I will try several of your ideas.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
It calls for one cup of water and then simmer for 4 hours. Wouldn't the water evaporate away? It does not say to cover the meat, but do you think a person should cover it for 4 hours of simmering??
I definately think you should cover it, Beth, and you'll probably have to add more water at some point as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

My mom used to make a slow-cooker stuffed heart. I don't have the recipe, but it was basically mushrooms and onions inside. I loved it (this as a kid too), but once my dad got sick after eating it, probably b/c of a stomach bug, but was turned off from it ever since. :(
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I've actually never had beef heart, I should get on that.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Executive Chef

well, I am proud of myself, we ate that whole darn thing. There was only one time where I thought, I just can't do this. What gave me the courage was I had been served it before and it was delicious, if texturally awkward. I ended up mincing much of it and using it on 2 pizzas, one stir fry, 2 crepe dishes and one baked ziti.

The meat is georgous, it is pure muscle, no fat, no grain, no nothing, pure meat. And tastes just like beef.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #16
Head Chef

I have not seen heart in the stores for years. If I ran across one, I would probably braise if over a mirapoix with wine after removing the skin. I used to simply simmer it or cook it in a slow cooker, and loved it as a sandwich. I would be careful not to overcook it. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty tender cut of meat.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #17
Head Chef

Wish I could find it. It is pure muscle, no fat. It is a unique organ and is tasty.

I remember as a kid it was an ingredient in canned Sloppy Joe mix and some canned chilis. Heck it may be in there now but they couch it under the term beef by products or some sort of generic term.

Gosh, am I dumb. I always tell folks to talk to the butcher and the idea just occurred to me.

Why don't I do that?

I suppose it is easier to give advice to others than to take it from yourself.

I have not seen any heart meat in the stores for many years. But the butcher should know.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tags
None