"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #31
Head Chef
Here's the recipe we use at our restaurant. We shape it into the little loaves for individual orders for the menu....and larger loaves for the buffet. Either way...we microwave it. It stays really moist that way. It's a large recipe...but what you don't use for your dinner...you could shape into the small loaves for future meals...(or freeze the rest in larger loaves). The small loaves don't need to be defrosted before cooking...but the large ones do.

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #32
Executive Chef
This is one I cribbed together in response to a challenge from a chef I worked with; he said his was the best (I thought it was dry and bland). We both cooked ours on the same day - this was a little 'gourmet to go' place, and guess who's won?

1/12 lbs. mix ground beef, veal and pork
¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup heavy cream
1T worchestershire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. mushroom base*
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme
1T roast garlic
2T carmelized onions
¼ cup minced parsely

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine cream and crumbs, and let sit. Puree roast garlic and onion. Mix together egg, worchestershire, pureed garlic/’onion, salt, pepepr, thyme and mushroom base.

In large bowl, combine meat, crumbs and egg mixture; mix w/hands til well blended. Form into a loaf on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for 1 hour or til thermometer reads 160. Let rest before cutting.

*If you don’t have mushroom base, add another tsp. of worchestershire

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #33
Master Chef
Somewhere here, I posted several recipes for stuffed meatloaf.
Sometimes, I make the old Ann Landers meatloaf, that has a package of onion soup mix, mustard, catsup, Worchestershire Sauce, mustard, catsup, eggs and S&P.

But here's the one my family likes best. It makes a big one, because we like leftovers for sandwiches.

Connie's Killer Meatloaf

3 lb ground chuck
2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1-1/2 sleeves crushed saltines
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbl Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Reserve 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. In large bowl, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Place in large casserole dish and pat firmly into a round loaf.
Cover and cook in microwave on med-high for 15 minutes. Remove lid, discard any drippings, and spread remaing sauce on top of loaf. Cook, uncoverd, on high for 10 more minutes. Check temperature with meat thermometer if in doubt. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.

You can also use the traditional method of cooking at 350 degrees in the oven, covered for 45 minutes, then top with sauce and bake uncovered for the last 15 minutes. (This cooking time is approximate...depends on how thick your loaf is...use your trusty meat thermometer.) Again, let it stand 10 minutes or so.
If you do cook your meatloaf in the oven, you may as well throw in some baked potatoes or a dish of macaroni while you have the stove on.

Whatever recipe you use, just remember not to overcook the meat. Your meatloaf will continue to cook after you get it out, and you don't want it to be dry.

My fave accompaniment is mashed potatoes and peas. What's yours?
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #34
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Copied & pasted.

These would make mighty fine BBQ tucker aswell. MMMmmmmmmm.
Taking off and flying are optional. Landing is mandatory
Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
I have one meatloaf that I make and instead of putting oatmeal or breadcrumbs in it.....I put Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing in it and Kraft Hickory smoked honey BBQ sauce. Also the normal chopped onion, salt and pepper. My husband just loves it. Then what is left over if any.....when it is cold I slice it thin and make grilled cheese meatloaf sandwiches out of it. I heat the meat up with more BBQ sauce on one side of the griddle while I am cooking the buttered bread on the other side. So my husband not only looks forward to having it for dinner but left over too. You have to use those two name brand and flavors for it to taste right. Nothing else will do.
Von Glassoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
And one more :)

I'm not much of a ground meat fan, but my DH loves meat loaf and would eat it anytime I fix it with a smile on his face
This one is easy and he says tastes great..I tasted it and feel it tastes fine...
2-eggs, beaten
1/2-c. finely chopped onion
2-tab. bottled horseradish, I use the creamy
4-tab. rolled oats (not instant)
1-1/2 bls. ground chuck
2-Tab. ketchup, either mixed in or brushed over the top near the middle of baking time. I put it into the loaf and also spread some on top as it comes out of the oven to rest before slicing. salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-tab. worchestershire
mix together all ingredients. Form into two 3x5 loaves and place in a shallow baking dish...bake at 400 for 30 min.
I let sit about 10 15 min before cutting...Not much to it, but it's quick and pretty good with roasted potatoes and a green salad...
ooops...should make 4 servings
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #37
Executive Chef
ah meatloaf is a noble pate! great fresh and hot with mashies for dindin, or cold sliced the next for sandwiches! so good!

mine: meat loaf mix meat...beef pork veal mix
minced onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, catsup or a thick tomato based sauce like pub sauce (which I prefer) instant oatmeal (or leftover slow cooked oats) 1 egg salt pepper worcestershire. this is the basic mince you glob together with your hands. shape into a nice mound on a baking sheet or into a loaf pan. I prefer the free form...becomes less greasy during cooking.

baste with soy sauce and cover with several strips of your fave bacon

roast conventionally 350* check temp with thermometer at 1 hr for 160*

I'm guessing I do a 3 lb job. so we're looking at 1 tsp of thyme, several good glops of red sauce, parsley enough to green it up. and a cup of cooked oats or it's = 1 dry pack of instant.

make a small patty and fry it up and taste before shoving the whole thing in the oven so you can correct seasonings if needed.

anyway, meatloaf is wonderous stuff...I love my recipe, and I enjoy trying yours so thanks for sharing!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #38
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by daisy
This favourite of mine has always received rave reviews! Well deserved, if I might say so! I always double the sauce ingredients! Cooking times are crucial. And the coffee is vital, too! Don't fiddle with this recipe, it's perfect as is (except the sauce quantity!!) Barbecue Meatloaf 500g minced beef 500g sausage mince 1 cup breadcrumbs 2 onions, diced 1 tablespoon curry powder 1/2 cup water salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped 1 egg, beaten 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional) 1/2 cup milk Combine all meatloaf ingredients and mix until well combined. Shape into a loaf and put into greased baking pan. Bake 30 minutes at 180C. Sauce: 1 onion, chopped very fine (optional) 1/4 cup water 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef stock 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons vinegar 1 teaspoon instant coffee 1/4 cup brown sugar 30g butter 2 teaspoons lemon juice Saute onions until golden and add all other ingredients. Bring slowly to the boil, lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes. After loaf has cooked for 30 minutes, pour the sauce over the meat, return to oven and bake 45 minutes more, basting often. The sauce goes well with ribs or chicken.
This does sound good if I could only figure out what 500g translates to in pounds or ounces. I like the curry powder idea, I'll bet that'd kick it up
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #39
Executive Chef
Choc, I realize the post goes back to April, but if you're still out there, you don't need a meat loaf pan. I've prepared it in pyrex glass dishes.

One of my favorites was a dish my mom made with a layer of mashed potatoes in the center and covered with Vegetarian Vegetable soup (alphabet soup).

I don't put a whole bunch of stuff in the meat mixture, because it takes away/detracts from the taste of the beef (if you're using beef). Often, I don't add eggs either. A good meatloaf mixture sold at the market is beef, veal and something else (that escapes me at the moment). I don't like a high fat content in the beef. Go for ground sirloin, and don't put in many ingredients to mask the taste of the beef. It's funny - the butcher grinds up the meat, we take it home and try to glue it back together.

One of my faves, beef mixed with dry onion mushroom soup mix, worcestershire (or soy sauce), onions (or mushrooms -sometimes green peppers) - on occasion barbeque sauce and or ketchup. On occasion an egg, Italian bread crumbs and french fried onions. Another fave, jellyroll style with cheddar rolled up in the mix and marinara poured over all. (See my Italian meatball recipe.)

The fun part is resurrecting this pile of meat into interesting shapes - meatloaf hot dogs, donuts, a giant hamburger. I like any recipe with the word "surprise." Think I recall a meatloaf with a hardboiled egg inside. Another I've seen is made with stuffing mix.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #40
Senior Cook
500g is 1lb.

daisy is offline   Reply With Quote