"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Liver

Hey guys; Its been way to long since I have fried up some liver and well its time :) BUT I know it has to be "just" right, so...any ideas of time on each side??? Hubby has only had it twice and kidlets Im not sure. I dont think Ive done it for them here. I TRULY want them to enjoy it cause it is so so so very good if done right! Oh and I seem to have more coming when I get my beef soooooo......Please help??

Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I prefer the bolder taste of beef liver, but since it tends to be tougher than calves liver, I tenderize by putting it in a bowl with a little milk. Don't leave it more than 10 or 15 minutes or it will tenderize itself into mush.

Frying shouldn't take more than 2 minutes a side. It cooks very quickly and any more time results in shoe leather. Just before I take it out of the pan, I cut into the middle of one of the slices. A little pink is perfect and tender.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

im interested in this too....ive never liked liver, but its been a long time since ive tried it, and for some reason i think my tastes may have changed.....i'd like to hear how to fry it perfectly, as well as some other liver dishes for non-liver-lovers...also, what kind of liver are we talking here? i need all the details
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I sold Liver Fingers in my restaurant for a while and they went well. Basically, you cut them in strips and do the, flour, eggwash, seasoned bread crumb thing and then deep fry. Then I would serve them with an onion gravy.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I prefer the bolder taste of beef liver, but since it tends to be tougher than calves liver, I tenderize by putting it in a bowl with a little milk. Don't leave it more than 10 or 15 minutes or it will tenderize itself into mush.

Frying shouldn't take more than 2 minutes a side. It cooks very quickly and any more time results in shoe leather. Just before I take it out of the pan, I cut into the middle of one of the slices. A little pink is perfect and tender.
Z is right on the mark........it should never be overcooked...it should be pink. In addition to the milk, I lightly flour mine. To me, you can't have beef liver (or calf liver) without fried onions and bacon. I prefer calf liver, but beef liver will do. I fry the onions and bacon first (keep warm) so I have the bacon drippings for the liver. Ohmygosh liver is now on grocery list......I love it and it's been ages since I've made it!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I cook liver at least once a month. I cook bacon and onions first. The liver is triple dregded in seasoned flour, then fried.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

AND the bacon fat has to be screaming hot!! Pretend you are frying an egg to hard cooked, and no more.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I can buy Turkey Livers, I butterfly them dredge in seasoned flour the fry till pink in butter, they are not quite calves liver but at 2.80 a Lbs.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You're right Kayelle. I neglected to mention I either dredge in flour or sometimes bread crumbs. I just wanted to make sure to pass on the milk marinade trick and not overcooking.

I either have liver on hand or on the grocery list. I usually have it once of month or so. A pound of beef liver is only $l.50 so it is not only good for you, it's very economical.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

I am not big liver lover, but i do eat it if served. I was in this etnic restaurant few month ago and served cow liver cooked in an intersting way. The liver was cubed, say an inch or just a bit smoller, and also there were same size chunks of fat. It was not even season. On a kebab sticks, you know those wouden things, and fried right on the open fire, well like on a grill. It was so tender and so tasty, I loved it. This was for sure the first one for me.

Tags
None