Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the ways I drain our meatloaf is to make a "sling" out of aluminum foil in the baking pan. I simply tear off a piece of foil with dimensions equal to the two short sides and the bottom of the pan, along with a few more inches for a grabber. Fold the foil, lengthwise, to fit the narrow width of the pan and let the leftover part hang over the edge to grab.

When the meatloaf is done, just lift it out of the pan (out of the juices) onto a serving platter.

Let the meatloaf rest for a few minutes before serving.

I make mini meatloaves on a broiler pan that way they drain while cooking.

27696-albums1087-picture6925.jpg

Meatloaf.
This is going to be a ridiculous request that I need help with. The meatloaf I have made the past two times has been too moist. Not to me, but to my husband. He would like a more 'chewy' meatloaf. So please help.

For each lb of hamburger I usually add, a handful or more of bread or cracker crumbs, 1 egg, salt and pepper, some ketchup or tomato sauce.

Later today I'm making meatloaf again, can you make suggestions so that I make a more chewy meatloaf?

Not sure that I'd call it "chewy" exactly but I make mine as I learned from my mother (don't most of us at least start that way?). I use similar proportions, but I use Quaker Oats for the grain filler, one egg and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped onion per pound, and sometimes I sauté sliced mushrooms golden brown and chop and add to the mix- no tomato anything.

I cook it in a loaf pan (or in a 9x13 cake pan for a larger group) for an hour in a 350° oven, then pour off any grease that has cooked out of the beef, add one can of cream of mushroom soup per pound over the loaf, dot with sliced green pimento olives, then back in the oven for about another half hour. It's moist without being wet.

I guess that it comes from what I was raised with, but I've never been a fan of tomato based meatloaf sauces.

Last edited:
Well, and well and well, thank you for all the suggestions and I can't try all of them at once! I see myself hanging from a sling off a ladder to get the grease out of it, and there is a lot, it's heavy on fat. While doing these acrobatics, I'm baking the tomato sauce/ketchup/pizza sauce to a nice finish and also cooking it a bit longer. I really couldn't ask for better friends than all of you sending me so many suggestions. The idea of finishing it with a cream of something soup or olives, well that's something I would like but not so much the DH. I may have to try it for me.

Tomorrow Dh will be eating it, I'll ring in with what he says (due to you all) and the verdict. OR, if it doesn't work out, then I'll try again with different suggestions.

Here is what I had, 5 lbs of inexpensive hamburger, 1 large onion at least a cup and a half of chopped, salt, pepper, 5 eggs, 1 cup of oatmeal (that's less than 1/4 cup per lb), then after the first hour, 1 cup of ketchup and 1 cup of pizza sauce on top, then another hour in the 350 degree F oven (yeah, over cooking it), then I poured off 12 oz of liquid fat, and 15 minutes later, sucked out another 4 ounces of it with a turkey baster. I just ate a 5 oz portion, my goodness it was DELICIOUS and chewy and I hope my Dh likes it tomorrow.

I packaged at least 7 lunches of meatloaf with potatoes and green beans, butter, salt. I still have another 10 servings of meatloaf. I'm a happy camper, now if Dh and DS are happy, then we are a happy family. If DH is happy then I'll have to marry him again tomorrow. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Kaneohegirlinaz--I think if I put bacon on meatloaf, like a crowning glory, I'd be serving it everyday and they wouldn't eat anything else. Too much of a good thing, and they do look great! My family is bacon crazy!:pig::pig::pig:

I'm waiting for DH to come home from the store to taste test it.

DH said the texture was perfect for him, chewy firm, slice-able and he liked the taste too.

So thank you friends for your dedicated service to better food!

Next time, smoke a fatty!:yum::angel:

I KNOW, I KNOW it would be good as a fatty, I KNOW, but I also know if I did that that they'd never like regular meatloaf without the bacon. I'd get stuck always making a meatloaf fatty to please them. Next thing you know I'd have to wrap their apples and bananas with bacon, and then the cottage cheese with bacon, and the melon and watermelon with bacon. Both of them would be dying from heart attacks and I'd be alone. You don't want that for me, do you?
Still, I laughed. :chef:

The oatmeal is a good idea .. The Video is Fabulous ..

Shall give it a try ..

I do my Meatloaf with day old Italian or French Baguette.

I prepare my meatloaf with a combination of beef and porc ground, a lightly beaten egg, salt and freshly ground pepper, a tiny pinch of oregano, thyme, basil, savory or majoram, rosemary and 2 / 3 cup approx day old Italian Baguette Bread verses packaged bread crumbs.

I bake 60 minutes or until the Meat reads 155 F degrees on the meat thermometer and let stand 10 minutes before serving and the temperature will rise to 165.

I prepare a Marinara on the side ..

1 tin of San Marzano tomatoes 28 ounces on tin
2 large garlic cloves minces
A crumbled 1 / 2 inch dried cayenne chili pepper
1 / 4 cup Italian Evoo
4 fresh basil leaves torn into small pieces
1 1 / 4 tsps salt to taste

Good luck .. Have a lovely summer ..

Last edited:
Next time, smoke a fatty!:yum::angel:
Have you posted a recipe for a fatty? Now that I have a stovetop smoker I would love to try it. I can always put under broiler to brown and develop a bark. TIA

Have you posted a recipe for a fatty? Now that I have a stovetop smoker I would love to try it. I can always put under broiler to brown and develop a bark. TIA

Fattys are easy. Bulk breakfast sausage stuffed with cheese and shaped into a log then wrapped in bacon. Smoke until the bacon is crispy.

Attachments

• DEFa7OL%SWKKvpXcmSBlEA_thumb_5928.jpg
    DEFa7OL%SWKKvpXcmSBlEA_thumb_5928.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 179
  • lZy35GrMT6qogxWoHcgs0Q_thumb_5926.jpg
    lZy35GrMT6qogxWoHcgs0Q_thumb_5926.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 161
Made meatloaf yesterday. Left it on the counter to cool. My Dad's dog enjoyed the rest of it. Darned dog. My dog is way to small to get on the counter, his dog, on the other hand, could probably figure out how to open the microwave.

Back
Top Bottom