Oxtail Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Oxtail Stew over Buttered Noodles

Ingredients:
4 pounds oxtail, cut in 1-1/2-inch chunks and trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled, large dice
2 cups beef broth AND 1 cup dry red wine
1 (15 oz.) can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet or hot Spanish smoked paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 to 8 medium-size carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 tablespoons flour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
Preparation:
Brown oxtail in oil in a large, heavy kettle over high heat and drain on paper toweling. Reduce heat to moderate, add onions and paprika to kettle and sauté, stirring, 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Return meat to kettle, add broth and wine mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery seeds, bay leaf, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat 3 hours until meat is tender. Cool and skim off fat.
Add carrots, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until tender. Mix in flour-water paste and heat, stirring, until thickened. Serve over buttered noodles.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Oxtails_1669.jpg

Oxtail Before.jpg

Oxtail Stew 006.jpg

Oxtail Stew 013.jpg

Oxtail Stew 017.jpg

Last edited:
I love Oxtail Stew...I usually start with smaller pieces:LOL:

That looks wonderful and I can almost smell it. Thanks for sharing, LT!

Cannot believe how expensive ox tail is today. I love ox tails! I usually just braised them and served with garlic mashed potato's and a veggie.

Cannot believe how expensive ox tail is today. I love ox tails! I usually just braised them and served with garlic mashed potato's and a veggie.

No kidding RB !!!! SC found them at the supermarket for $6.00 a pound!!
That's ridiculous.
We'll check out the Mexican market but there's no way I'll pay that much for mostly bone.

Last edited:
Looks wonderful, LT! I haven't had oxtail stew in years. :yum: I saw a couple of packages of oxtail in Albertsons the other day, and yes, they were spendy.

Last edited:
The Oxtail you see pictured cost me $28.37 - I didn't inquire about the weight... But there's enough tail for two more rounds of either Stew or Braising...

No kidding RB !!!! SC found them at the supermarket for $6.00 a pound!!
That's ridiculous.
We'll check out the Mexican market but there's no way I'll pay that much for mostly bone.

$6 a pound is outrageous. But as soon as they find out people like something or its becoming popular or popular again, they stick the knife in you and twist it.

This reminds me of Chuck Eye Steaks. I used to be able to get them for $2.99 a pound. I always bought them when in the store and always picked out the ones that looked the best. Very nice ones look much like boneless ribeye.
Now they are the same price as NY Strip.
Same thing happened with flank and skirt steak. They now cost as much as premium cuts. I guess we could say they ARE premium cuts today.

The Oxtail you see pictured cost me $28.37 - I didn't inquire about the weight... But there's enough tail for two more rounds of either Stew or Braising...

Did you buy the whole tail like in the picture? Top picture.
How many pounds and what was the price per pound, if I may ask?
I am assuming you did buy a whole one not trimmed yet?

Their price is 3.99 per pound - a little over seven pounds....... Yup ! It came to me just as pictured ; a tail, cut in half.... the butcher then cuts it up for me....
Oxtail, in Half.jpg

I sometimes get a rabbit from them, but not often, as that's six bucks a pound, and the bunny is usually over four pounds

Rabbit before.jpg

As you can see, I'm into Food pics ; I shoot everything !

Back
Top Bottom