"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Head Chef

Pastys... great use for leftover (or overcooked) roast!

It is interesting how life works... I am reading my way through the Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking, and had read about English PASTYS recently.

Think savory turnover pastry full of meat, veggies and gravy....

I made a roast recently and the taste was great... but the roast itself was as dry as a desert.
So I shredded the meat, made some gravy from the pan drippings and mixed it all up. Then, the meat was good.

So I made pastys:

For 4 pastys:
1 package ready to use pie shells
Leftover roast (I would think you can shred, chunk, slice..)
Gravy
Roasted vegetables (I roasted some separately for the pasties).
Leftover potatoes

Cut pie shells in half, and fold over lightly to make a crease down the center. This helps in placing the filling.

Layer potatoes, vegetable and meat, with about a 1:1 ratio of meat to veggies. Place these on one side of the pastry, leaving a 1/2 inch around the edges.

There should be a good amount of gravy in each, since this will provide moisture to keep things from getting too dry.

Fold over the pie shell and seal on the edges. Brush with butter. Pierce the top of each pasty with a fork to let steam escape when cooking.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until shells are golden brown. I buttered my baking sheet for easy clean up.

Let cool before eating. These are great cold, too!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Doesn't sound like it could be anything but good. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Thank you VERY much for posting your recipe :)
My guys love hearty meals like that.Feeding teenagers is hard work!
It certainly beats the same old left over roast beef sammiches.
Defrosting a roast now.Not only will I make the Pasty.I'll see if I can work additional veggies into it,and make ahead and freeze hot pockets.
That's a jackpot recipe :) I think you just spoiled every parent in here.

Munky.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Head Chef

And you put a dollop of your favorite preserves in the corner, save it for the last bite, dessert!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

I LOVE pastys--we've made them since I was a kid with grandma. I've never made them with gravy or with cooked ingredients. (and I'm not saying there is only one way to make them)
We use onions, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, venison or beef, in chunks, a slice of butter and S&P, in the pastry crust.
We tried veggie pastys one year--broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions (I'm sure there were more veggies) and some chunks of cream cheese and seasonings, those were good too.
Really, what isn't good surrounded in pastry dough?
I'll give your recipe a try next time I have a roast leftovers.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Master Chef

i would think it would be good with any left over meats (beef, lamb, pork, chicken or turkey), veggies and gravy. sounds like a pot pie without the pie plate. it sounds wonderful!! thank you!! i have made individual pots pies with a top and bottom crust which i love but they were a pain so i only made them several times. this sounds so much easier and will have a nice crispy top and bottom crust!!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've always had them the way my grand mother made them, diced beef,,potatoes, onions, at times carrots.now and then diced turnips..I make them without the carrots. I've never put gravy and it sounds wonderful as well as using the roast in them...One question does anyone know does the bottom crust get soggy or does it stay crisp?
It really doesn't matter to me as they sound wonderful and different. Thanks
kadesma
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Wow, that is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure I'll be making use of it soon. I'm with msmofet - no more messin' with pot pies!

Adam
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Bottom crust on mine stay crisp.
I put a layer of leftover taters at the bottom, then veggies, then the meat/gravy mixture at the top. That way the juices have to move through everything to get to
the bottom!

Memo: Remember to pike holes in the top or it will look like the Hulk bulking out of
his T Shirt!!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Mr. Greenjeans

I use a roll of biscuits (American, not English) and roll them out flat. My kids love them. I use any leftovers we have. Chop Suey, spagetti, BBQ pork or beef. The chili ones are especially nice as you add the cheese inside the pie.

Tags
leftovers