"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Prime Rib

I am planning to cook prime rib with the 120 degree F for 18 hours method. I do have an oven that can maintain this temperature. Any advice? Take the bones off first? Leave them on, etc.?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

An oven temperature of 120F is WAY TOO LOW to safely cook food. The food temperature danger zone is 40F to 140F where bacteria grows at a rapid rate.

There are several methods for cooking a standing rib roast that will yield good results.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Head Chef

I prefer bone on roast. I think it tastes better. Presents better.

You can lift the bone and tie it back. It is easier to carve that way.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Good points

OK, I'll leave the bone on and switch to a higher temp cooking method. Thanks. I've never cooked prime rib before. Roast beef, yes. Prime rib, no.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Master Chef

Hi Stock Pot.

I completely agree with what Andy said!

This is my never fail choice for Prime Rib and it works perfectly every single time. Check out the video, and Happy Holidays!

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Prime Time for Revisiting Prime Rib of Beef

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Head Chef

Pathogens that make you sick continue to grow until 118 F. Very close to your 120 F oven temp. Every time your oven dips below 118 (as the heating element cycles on and off) they will grow rapidly. They do not start to die until 130 F. At 130 F 2 hours kills them to a safe level. At 140 F 12 minutes is required.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Here is the method Craig told us about and said his roasts come out perfect every single time.
I would have tried this long ago, accept my wife does not like rare meat so I will not waste any money on a good standing rib roast. If I want rare prime rib, I will need to find a good restaurant.

Here is Craig's recommendation.

Beef Roast Steps. Rare.

Roast room temperature beef roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to try the Foodwishes method first, but we bought two roasts (on sale) so I have another one in the freezer to try a different method, too.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Here is the method Craig told us about and said his roasts come out perfect every single time.
I would have tried this long ago, accept my wife does not like rare meat so I will not waste any money on a good standing rib roast. If I want rare prime rib, I will need to find a good restaurant.

Here is Craig's recommendation.

Beef Roast Steps. Rare.

Roast room temperature beef roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.
I've never been one to trust the per pound method. A probe thermometer costs less than $20, a prime rib over $100.

Roast to the desired temperature, - 10 degrees, remove, let it sit for a few minutes. Serve.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've also had good luck with roasting room temp rib roast at 450-500F for a few minutes and simply turning off the oven and let the roast sit in the oven, undisturbed, for a couple of hours.
I picked this method up on the internet and it works for me.

Tags
beef