"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

Quick and Easy Skirt Steak Fajitas

Skirt steak sliced on a bias, seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Cooked onions and bell pepper until soft then take them out.

Get pan hot then quickly brown the meat.

Add onions and bell pepper cook to desired doneness. Just before it is finished add some chipotle salsa. But do not over cook.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I always thought that the term "fajita" meant grilled skirt steak. I recently came across an article that says that's not exactly so. I, personally, make no claims one way or the other, but here is a link to an interesting story that might explain the beginning of Fajitas and what it really means.

So, just for fun and your entertainment:
Fajita

Oh, and by the way - Powerplantop, your fajita recipe sounds great to me and I plan on giving it a go this weekend - thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I read the link and found it interesting. Thanks for posting it.

However, I have enough trouble finding skirt steak around here. I don't think I have a prayer of finding strap meat. I suspect the seasonings, cooking method and accompaniments are more important to a great fajita than the actual cut of meat.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
However, I have enough trouble finding skirt steak around here. I don't think I have a prayer of finding strap meat.
I agree whole heartily. Besides, I suspect that skirt steak most likely has a better flavor than strap meat!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
However, I have enough trouble finding skirt steak around here. I don't think I have a prayer of finding strap meat. I suspect the seasonings, cooking method and accompaniments are more important to a great fajita than the actual cut of meat.
I have made some great fajitas using other cuts of meat. Soon I will post my prefered recipie for fajitas. It requires more work, time and a hot grill. But it works great with most cuts of beef.

I know that some people have a pet peav using any other meat. I understand one of mine is not using chick peas for Hummus.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
...I understand one of mine is not using chick peas for Hummus.

It's these differences that made cooking interesting. I prefer garbanzo beans for hummus...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
It's these differences that made cooking interesting. I prefer garbanzo beans for hummus...
Well I'm here to tell you that that's just plain wrong! Everyone know that you have to use chick peas, not those silly garbanzo beans. Besides, garbanzo sounds like a muppet character.

And humus, why would you even eat that? Isn't that some kind of soil used for planting veggie gardens in?

Oh, and by the way, Fajita means belt in Mexican, if the source I read is correct. It originally referred to the beef diaphragm muscle, or skirt steak, and was cut into strips and grilled before placing on flour or corn tortillas along with strips of grilled sweet peppers and cooked onions. Often, the dish included some form of salsa and shredded cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
And humus, why would you even eat that? Isn't that some kind of soil used for planting veggie gardens in?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Good one!

Tags
None