Recipes for Tender London Broil ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joley

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any good ones where the meat is tender -- melting off the bone?

Are you sure you are talking about London Broil?

LB is a way to cook meat, usually round steak or flank steak. No bone involved and no "melting" texture.

You marinate, cook to medium and slice thinly across the grain to get tender meat.

I sear it and finish to rare under the broiler. Add some onions, mushrooms & broth to the bits in the pan and cook it down while the meat is broiling. When the meat is rare, I slice it thin and add it to the stock.

I always throw mine under the broiler, a few minutes each side depending on the thickness. You want the inside to be pretty pink. It is tender this way and makes great leftovers to throw on top of a salad.

Here is one recipe I use. It was originally for a flank steak, but I use it for london broil also.

Marinade
3 T. dijon mustard
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T. fresh garlic, minced

After broiling the meat let it sit for a few minutes. Then slice along the grain. drizzle juices left over on top of meat.

agreed, no bone - cooked under the broiler very high heat, leave medium to medium-rare. I would recommend slicing thin slices perpendicular to the grain instead of at an angle - this will result in a more tender slice. Also, buy "flank steak" for london broil rather than packaged "London Broil". The reason is that sometimes "round steak" (a top round subcut) is labeled as LB and this cut is not as flavorful.

No bones in the LB.
I like to take the flank steak and marinate it in a chimmichurri style sauce for a day and then cook it directly on the coals:

Use real hardwood, lump or cowboy charcoal.
When it is red hot, fan the coals to blow of dust and lay the meat directly on the coals. Cook for 1.5 to 2 minutes and flip. Another 2 minutes and wrap in tin foil for 7 minutes. Thinly slice ( make sure it's against the grain) and top with a little more sauce.

Her in New England (that's a group of six states in the Northeast USA) I have never seen flank steak labeled as LB. In the markets here, LB is shoulder steak.

Back
Top Bottom