The BEST cut for Beef Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
What is the best cut for a Beef Roast??

The inlaws are coming for supper tonight and for a change iwould like to cook a succulent roast. I have a freezer full of roasts...deer, elk, pork, and I believe some beef too, but I want something better! Any help would be great....thanks

my fav is a bone-in rib roast, done medium rare, with a side of fresh horseradish and a baked tater, and steamed brocolli, if you are looking for a little more fancy.

top or bottom round roast for pot roast if you want a more homey, comfortable meal, with mashed taters and peas.

buckytom said:
my fav is a bone-in rib roast, done medium rare, with a side of fresh horseradish and a baked tater, and steamed brocolli, if you are looking for a little more fancy.

top or bottom round roast for pot roast if you want a more homey, comfortable meal, with mashed taters and peas.

Man, am I ever with you on that! My absolute favorite is tenderloin, cooked rare and so tender it practically melts in your mouth...with lots of fresh grated horseradish on the side.

mmmm....We made horse radish this year and is it EVER the best. The last time we made it it took three years to get to almost the potency of this years!!! SO a rib roast huhh? K I will certainly look...if not top or bottom round????

Will look today......

our meal...

Roast, deep fried potatoes, ,veggies. green salad, buns. gravy....me mouth is watering already!@

Tanis, rib roasts on sale at IGA $5.99/lb. Get standing or prime rib. I prefer standing myself.

Standing and Prime Rib are the same thing. The only difference is that to be called Prime Rib, the meat has to be USDA certified Prime category.

Though I dearly love a great standing or prime rib, especially on the Webber grill, the most famous, priciest, and elegant beef roast is the Chateu Brione (not sure of the spelling) made from the thick end of the tenderloin. There are a ton of recipes to be found using GoogleSearch. This is the one to make if you have to really impress someone.

Of course, a perfectly cooked and flavored crown rib, either pork or lamb, will certainly wow the crowd as well. That's what my avatar is. I made that roast and it came out so incredible that I had to take pictures of it. The larger pictures look so much better than that little one under my name.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey Goodweed, I don't think USDA labels apply in Canada do they? So what would the difference be here? My understanding is that prime rib is the lower ribs and standing the higher...no? In any case, Tanis, it is the standing rib that is on sale, the prime is a buck more a lb.

Darn Goodweed, I was hoping you would know. Oh well, I will have to find my trivia of the day elsewhere. Thanks anyway!

Goodweed,
I think the correct spelling is chateaubriand.

I also thought that Prime Rib is called that because that is the USDA rating. I haven't seen any in my supermarket. I have read somewhere that it is beyond expensive, if you can find it, and that most of it goes to pricey restaurants.

:D You know how in school, they always recomended that you go with your first answer and not change it? Well, the way you spelled Chateaubriand was the way I spelled it, the first time. I talked myself out of it, just like so many of those math test problems.

A couple of posts back in this thread, you will see that I agree with you, that the Prime, in Prime Rib, does refer to the USDA rating. The only way you can get true prime rib is if you know a local butcher who generally has his own herd, and is knowledgeable enough about proper feed, bloodlines, etc. Usually, it is beyond my price range, and certainly cant' be found in supermarkets. You understand correctly.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

prime or standing

Actually prime does not refer to the grade of the meat in this case. When you say "prime rib" you are refering to the cut where the meat comes from. The cow is divided into large "primal" cuts and standing rib roasts come from the primal rib, so they are all prime rib. Any grade of meat can be prime rib, it doesn't matter if it's choice, prime, etc....

mjsorkin,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I thought that it was related to cut, but was unsure of the terms etc. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us. And welcome to the boards!

K well I ended up buying a Sirloin Tip roast. It was absolutely the best....melt in your mouth. I paid $20.42 for it at IGA. It was 1.585kg....excellent it was. I looked at a standing rib but I have never cooked one, and knowing how my DH "carves, mutilates, ect" meat I chose to go boneless. We nearly ran out, thankfully every one was full by the time the last three peices were there, and well you cant just leave three pieces, so we picked and picked and picked...it was such a good meal.....

Last night we had Ham and scalloped potatoes....mmmmm and we picked and picked and picked.......a weekend full of good food!

Back
Top Bottom