trying to learn..technique on broiling or searing steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YNOT-1

Assistant Cook
:) Hello everybody, I'm a divorced father trying to cook for the first time. I need help on how to broil steak,also I wanted to know how to sear it?:chef:

broiling and searing are two diff. things:

with broiling, you are going to put your steak on a pan, set oven on BROIL, and shove it in the oven on the highest rack (closest to the broiler). Depending on the thickness of your steak, you will flip it over after the first side looks like your desired done-ness and broil the other side about the same amount of time.

with searing, you are going to throw that seasoned steak into a HOT pan to quickly brown both sides of the meat and then throw in the oven to finish cooking.

Do a search on this board for the word(s) "sear" and "searing" to get some ideas of temp and times in the oven.

Hey man. I'm sorry about your divorce.

Anyway, take a good fry pan and drizzle a little bit of olive oil in it. Make sure the steak is at room temperature, and rub it down with some salt and pepper. Turn the heat up on the pan with the oil until it's hot. Carefully place the steak in and cook it for a couple of minutes, flip and cook a couple of minutes more and you're gonna have an awesome steak!!

:punk:

If you are going to use olive oil, use the "light" processed olive oils, as extra-virgin olive oil will smoke when brought up to a suitable temperature for searing. I prefer sunflower oil as it has a high smoke point and juetral flavor. It will let the flavor of the steak shine.

Lard also works well for searing, but is generally frowned upon by most in our hemisphere as an unhealthy fat. If you do just a bit of research into fats, you will find a great controversy about what constitues a healthy and un-healthy fat. So use at your own discretion. I know that it has less cholesterol than does butter, and is much healthier than all trans-fats, such as margerine, and shortening. It also has superior flavor than the artificial fats.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

so now you have the steak, a chop (pork lamb) ham steak, tuna or swordfish steak work much the same. You will want to start using a few new spices or rubs once you get this technique down. you're on your way!

Broiling: as above. I usually keep the oven open a crack.

Searing: the bits and juices that condense in the pan are the perfect start to a gravy or steak sauce. When you pull the meat out, pour some liquid (wine, stock, etc) into the pan and then proceed with whatever sauce/gravy you like. If you need an excuse, here's one: a deglazed pan is much, much easier to clean.

If you are broiling it helps if you preheat both the

pan and the broiling element. Turn on the broiler and put the pan under it.
Let it get nice and hot, just make sure that your pan is clean otherwise there will be lots of smoke.

as goodweed mentions, lard works well. i usually just trim off the fat from the steak and melt it in the pan.

most steaks are done in the pan. broiling might be better left for substantially hefty cuts, after first searing the sides at high heat to seal in the juice. of course, it all depends on how you like your steak.

if you're not too health concious, when the steak is done, remove it to a plate, throw in some red wine, give it some salt & pepper, reduce it to about 1/2, turn off the heat, throw in some butter and swirl it around the pan until it's all mixed. there's your sauce.
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom