"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Well, I made it. Brined it using an orange brine I found on here (search for Alton Brown in this forum, then a thread named "Brine" to find it).

Then I managed to do two sections. Both got honey mustard, herbs and bacon. One gotan extra coating of mustard on the outside of the bacon.

No real change in taste, but the mustard coated bacon one got a lot darker than the one without mustard outside. Taste was all right, but not spectacular.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Executive Chef

So do you mean the taste was just okay in both, or just the double mustard? Maybe you need some fruit with the pork, apple, cranberries, more orange... as a counterpoint to the mustard? Shame it didn't go as you had hoped. Bummer when that happens. I cooked a dish tonight that needed something extra but I can't put my finger on what it is. Got a lot of leftovers so I have plenty of goes to work it out!! LOL

Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Both tasted pretty much the same. The only real difference between the two was color.

Interesting side note: I sliced part of one of them and vac-packed it while still warm. Stuck it in the fridge. Hauled it out last night because I didn't want to do anything requiring work...

Nuked it (straight from fridge to microwave, no opening package) to the point where the seal-a-meal bag opened on it's own (5 minutes on med-high I think). Somehow it tasted even better than it had when it went into the fridge. Served with canned green beans.

Wonder if the rest of it will taste that good.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Possibly. Sounds a bit like chilli and pastas where the flavour gets to develop with the second cooking.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Welcome to DC, VaporTrail. Funny you should mention honey/mustard pork loin. Just watched a new show called Hot Guys That Cook, on cable, (who writes this stuff? haha); & one of the dishes was a honey/mustard pork loin - but no bacon. The dish looked great - served with cored apples and potatoes, thyme & garlic. Sure you could incorporate bacon in there somewhere. Here's a look:

Vote Now for Today's Hot Dish! - mystyle.com
amy, thanks for the link. did you notice it said to bake only 15-20 minutes? Is this right? seems would be longer than that.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Welcome to DC, VaporTrail. Funny you should mention honey/mustard pork loin. Just watched a new show called Hot Guys That Cook, on cable, (who writes this stuff? haha); & one of the dishes was a honey/mustard pork loin - but no bacon. The dish looked great - served with cored apples and potatoes, thyme & garlic. Sure you could incorporate bacon in there somewhere. Here's a look:

Vote Now for Today's Hot Dish! - mystyle.com
LOL I was trolling around looking for a easy tasty way to cook a pork roast tonight and this from the most ridiculous source is what I come across that seems to work...

so here is the recipe from the above site which seems so silly and vapid but it works beause it looks easy and involves ingredients I have on hand and was intending to use.

anybody got anything to add? If it works out maybe I need to unbutton my collar a few and invite over some ladies from the neighborhood

Reposted from mystyle:

Honey Mustard Pork Loin
Pork loin
Pepper
Salt
Garlic
Thyme
Honey
Mustard
2 apples
3 potatoes
Olive oil

Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place meat in pan and cut crisscross slits into the meat. Spread mustard and honey over the top of the meat, making sure it gets into the slits. Core apples and add to pan. Slice potatoes, leaving the skin on, and place next to meat. Pour olive oil over potatoes, making sure to completely cover them. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

Sounds good.. I am not sure there is a bad way to cook a pork loin.

I like dry roasting them on a rack. Season well, cover loosely with foil and roast away...
Old 05-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks Jeff

a few questions

Should I brown the roast (after or before the rub?)

ideal internal temp? I have seen a range 140-170... at what reading should I pull it out so that it is still juicy

The 375 oven temp? seems low for the cooking time of 20 min sounds live TV magid maybe 20 min per pound?

I assume I need to slice the taters thin 1/4" or so for them to cook in the timeframe given?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Apply the rub first.

As far as doneness, (I'm sure I'll hear it from some folks) I like pork slightly pink inside. 150 F then remove and tent.

Edit: Wait, on the recipe you posted, I don't think they brown the meat. You could add salt, pepper, and dried herbs the slightly brown and continue with the recipe.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Sous Chef

no they don't say to brown it but I sort of figure it was left out to make it seem easier and browning seemed like a good iedea

thanks for the advise sounds on point. Ill brown then add the honey

I like it pink too but I am more fearless than most I have an iron stomach

Tags
None