Braising ham with coke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spazticarwen

Assistant Cook
saw it on iron chef and was just wondering if anyone has done it before. it sounds really good. does anyone have a recipe? I cook for one so I'll probably used packaged slices of ham about half an inch thick or less.

Lots of years ago I had a cook from the south. He did that all the time. All he did was pour the coke right over the ham, no other ingredients that I was aware of. It was mighty tasty.

Absolutely!! I have used Coke many times on ham, it works GREAT!!

I sometimes add a bit of mustard or orange juice to it. I always add some clove if I don't dot the ham with cloves.

It makes a terrific glaze.

I would slow bake my ham, even if it was pre-cooked for a few hours and let the coke caramelize. Just don't burn it!

I've used coke as a glaze for a precooked spiral ham. Root beer too. Usually with mustard and soy sauce.

But I'm not sure about braising a precooked slice of packaged ham in coke.

But try it and see!:chef:

Using colas to baste/glaze a ham was fairly common, at least here in the South, during WW II due to sugar rationing. It appears that while sugar was rationed and in limited supply (brown sugar was extremely hard to get) - colas were not rationed and were usually readily available, especially in the areas within about 100 miles of a bottling plant. There were other interesting inventions during this time like the Coca-Cola Cake, some qiuick breads, cola glazed pork chops, to make BBQ sauce, etc.

Other colas commonly used to glaze hams were Dr. Pepper for it's fruity "prune" flavor and Root Beer for it's sassafras flavoring.

Ok, I think I'll try making a glaze rather than braizing, since the ham is has been pre-cooked.

And M. FTW, I think I've had cocacola cake before. it was realy good. Maybe I should look up a few other recipies with coke while i'm at this.

Anyone used soda for things other than ham?

Ok, I think I'll try making a glaze rather than braizing, since the ham is has been pre-cooked.

And M. FTW, I think I've had cocacola cake before. it was realy good. Maybe I should look up a few other recipies with coke while i'm at this.

Most hams that you buy in the supermarket are already cooked, but you can cook them a second time. That second cooking adds depth of flavour, plus, some of the salt cooks out if you braise it. You cannot over cook it as long as you watch your temperatures.

I have used 7 up or beer on ham also. My favorite BBQ sauce recipe includes a can of beer for the sauce and one for the cook. LOL

Many of my crock pot recipes include some form of soda. My understanding is that it tends to tenderize and flavor. I just think of some sort of soda anytime a recipe calls for wine because I hate the flavor wine adds.

I discovered Nigella Lawsons recipe for Ham in Cola a couple of years ago, tried it and just loved it! Unfortunately, very helpful hubby threw out the cooking liquid so I never got a chance to make the Black Bean soup. :ermm:
Next time! ;)

Here is a link to her recipe. Do try it if you get a chance and she used gammon which is brined pork leg before it is cooked. I have supplied the USA recipe which does not specify that. Hmmmmmm.

Nigella.com

Ham cooked in coke

We live in the louisiana. My husband grew up with ham cooked in coke.
Personally i'd never heard of it when i was growing up in mississippi- but to my surprise it was delicious. That was 37 years ago. Now its the only way i cook ham.
We use a whole or half uncooked ham. We boil it in plain water to remove some of the salt.(use a large pot and cover it with water; boil for about 45 min. And drain.)i like the salt but it's not good for you. Leave ham in pot and pour coke over it until it is about half covered. Cook over med heat until it starts to boil, reduce heat, and cook until ham is cooked to the bone. Ever so often turn ham and baste with the coke; when you're sure its done, take ham and put in baking pan.
Take a cup or so of the coke juice from pot and mix with brown sugar. Pour over ham ,let it cook in oven for about half hour. Take fresh coke and add brown sugar to make glaze, cook in saucepan until thickens like syrup. I add pineapple juice from canned pineapple slices to the cooking mixture.
Place pineapple slices on baking ham and glaze with coke mixture to your satisfaction.cover with foil and set oven to 325-350.let it cook slowly and baste with coke glaze. I have done the same with ham steaks for just a regular meal. Tastes great .don't over cook with water you want some of the salt for taste.if the ham is precooked you can do everything except boil in water;i cook by taste and sight, so his is the closest to a recipe as i get for this.

I always baste my hams with Vernor's Ginger Ale and brown sugar. I can't imagine why Coke wouldn't work just as well. Sure worth a try.

Okay but what if it's diet coke? Wouldn't work? I purchased a ham today to make for the kids on Tuesday. I remembered seeing something about cola but I have only diet. I do,however, have gingerale.

Root beer, Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up are all good in recipes. Think I saw some for Sunkist once as well.
7-up cake is good!

Back
Top Bottom