Cooking an already smoked 28 lb ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oompah

Assistant Cook
How do I go about cooking an already smoked 28 lb ham? My mother bought one, but doesn't know squat about cooking ham. I too don't know squat about cooking it. I know only how to prepare (sauces, etc...) Do you cook it in the oven or over a fire? Note: we have no way of knowing oven temp as we have no temperature readers and we have looked and looked for one, but to no avail. Thanks.

Edit: It's a Swift Premium smoked ham we bought from Price Costco. It has no instructions, at least on the outside. We haven't opened the package, as it is currently thawing. The ingredient label reads: ham, salt, water, sugar, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite.

well one idea would be to cut them into 1/2" or 1" thick round "steaks" and then grill them. then you would be free to pretty much put whatever sauce you would want (maybe a sweet, red wine reduction sauce with dried cranberries or other dried fruits, or see my recipe for cranberry-balsamic demi-glace) and you would have nice pretty diamond-grill marks on them too.

since the ham is already cooked, you'd want to slice it in someway before cooking it, that way each individual piece and be browned, or grilled, or whatever. if you throw the whole ham in to heat up, it will take forever.

Ironchef is right there. To the best of my recollection a fully cooked, smoked ham takes about 15 minutes per pound. Thus a 28 pounder would take 7 hours.

Back
Top Bottom