"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Head Chef

Just the fact that there seems to be little information about this should set off some alarms. I just don't see why anyone would be so dead set on deep frying a cut that typically is slow cooked - usually the slower the better. I always thought that deep frying was supposed to be a fast way to cook certain types of foods. I can't imagine putting a beef rib roast in a deep fryer. Nor a large rump roast.

I wouldn't think that brisket would be any good in a deep fryer, but it's normal cooking style is rather similar to a pork butt or shoulder. This just isn't something I'd ever be inclined to try.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
Executive Chef

The secret to these cuts, cooked whole is low and slow. If you want "fried" shoulder or butt, cut them up and make Carnitas. Make sure to use lard and follow a recipe from Rick Bayless.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's not a food safety issue. I has to do wth the prolonged cooking to 195F breaking down the collagen in the shoulder, tenderizing the meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There's no scare. We're talking about the shoulder, not the loin. At medium, the shoulder will still be tough.
Got it. My bad.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Head Chef

I have deep fried turkeys, steaks, chickens, ducks, and even prime ribs. All I can say it it depends on the size. As pork should be cooked at a higher temp then beef.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I have deep fried turkeys, steaks, chickens, ducks, and even prime ribs. All I can say it it depends on the size. As pork should be cooked at a higher temp then beef.
Don't have any idea about temp, but I do agree deep frying most anything is a go.
Seems deep frying would produce a moist result and a nice crust.
This is how I heat up left over steak for lunch. I drop into my Fry Daddy for a minute and remove promptly.
My only concern would be over cooking the outside before the inside was fully done.

Tags
other, pork, pork shoulder