"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Head Chef

Don't want pork loin to be pink nor dry

ok, I've heard a lot of resources lately state to take pork loin out of oven at around 140 and let it sit for a good 10/15 minutes. I have tried this before but it was too pink. I think I than took it out at 150 the next time and let it sit and it came out reallly good. I don't remember if there was any pink inside.

My dilema is my FIL will dEfinetely be disappointed if it looks (too him) like the pork loin isn't done especially if he sees any pink inside. I'm pretty sure when I took it out at 150, it wasn't pink.

Does anyone remember if you take a pork loin out at 150 and let it sit for a good 10/15 minutes that it was juicy and white but not pink enough for guests who don't believe that pork doesn't have to be EXTREMELY well done.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
ok, I've heard a lot of resources lately state to take pork loin out of oven at around 140 and let it sit for a good 10/15 minutes. I have tried this before but it was too pink. I think I than took it out at 150 the next time and let it sit and it came out reallly good. I don't remember if there was any pink inside.

My dilema is my FIL will dEfinetely be disappointed if it looks (too him) like the pork loin isn't done especially if he sees any pink inside. I'm pretty sure when I took it out at 150, it wasn't pink.

Does anyone remember if you take a pork loin out at 150 and let it sit for a good 10/15 minutes that it was juicy and white but not pink enough for guests who don't believe that pork doesn't have to be EXTREMELY well done.
The days of well-done pork are over. Now it is recommended that to keep pork from becoming overdone and dry that you take it out of the oven at about 150 degrees and let it sit for abot 10 minutes. Pork loin, chops, and tenderloin should be slightly pink inside. I have done it this way for a couple of years now and the pork is juicy and very flavorful. Trichonosis, which was a problem in earlier years, has been all but wiped out due to the antibiotics given to pigs. Sorry to say there are those that still cling to the old "cook the living daylights out of pork" school of thought then complain because pork is dry and has no flavor.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

If you brine the pork it won't be dry even if cooked through.

I know that it takes some getting used to slightly pink pork, but it's perfectly ok.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My suggestion would be to serve your FIL those pieces from the ends. Those will be more done than the center pieces. Cut his off and remove them to a different plate so no "pink" touches his.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

SO and I have an arrangement. I cook the pork properly then she puts her slices into the microwave for a few seconds to kill the pink.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post

I go to at least 155.. Last time I missed and it was 160--still fantastic and juicy...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO and I have an arrangement. I cook the pork properly then she puts her slices into the microwave for a few seconds to kill the pink.

LOL- that was a battle I fought as well, though I eventually won out. But agreed, "properly" cooked pork should include pinkness.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is what I came to post.

Tags
None