Harry's Spicy Pork Ball Rendang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
pure comfort and a one pot wonder.a spicy,creamy,coconutty dish from malaysia/indonesia where it is one of the dishes served for eid apparently.....but not with pork obviously.also works particularly well with cubed stewing steak,less work but with a longer cooking time,and with the potatoes added 20 mins from the end.rendang is another one of those dishes with countless variations.....this is mine,enough for two
FOR THE PORK BALLS
a)1lb(400grms)lean minced(ground)pork
b)glug or two of fish sauce
c)cayenne/finely chopped chilli/chilli flakes to taste
d)minced/pureed garlic to taste
e)ground black pepper
f)pinch of caster sugar
g)breadcrumbs to bind
PORK BALL METHOD
a)chuck it all in a bowl,mix by hand,roll into balls,refrigerate
FOR THE RENDANG
a)one large onion or a couple of large shallots peeled & chopped
b)2 inch(5cms)piece fresh ginger peeled & chopped
c)3 or 4 garlic cloves peeled & chopped
d)2tsps ground turmeric
e)1tsp ground coriander
f)0.5tsp ground cloves
g)1tsp ground cinnamon
h)juice of a lime
i)2tsps soft brown sugar
j)1tbls dessicated coconut lightly browned in the oven
k)2 or 3 kaffir lime leaves
l)glug or two of fish sauce/soy sauce
m)1 can of coconut milk
n)2 or three heads of star anise(could use chinese five spice powder in an emergency)
o)few waxy spuds peeled & chopped if you want.a lot of rendangs do have spuds but that's up to you
p)couple of lemongrass stems,tough outer leaves removed & bashed to split
q)fresh red chillies to taste sliced
THE METHOD
1) chuck a) to l) in a blender & whizz til smooth
2)heat a wok til smokin',add a glug of peanut/groundnut oil,brown your balls(ouch!)add chilli & spuds,turn a few times in oil.
3)add the paste from the blender,coconut milk,spuds,star anise,lemongrass stems
4)bring to boil then simmer gently for 30/40 mins.....add water if necessary during cooking but rendang is traditionally a dryish curry.
5)ENJOY!!

Attachments

• PORK BALL RENDANG 001.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 001.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 002.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 002.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 393
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 003.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 003.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 362
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 004.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 004.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 344
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 005.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 005.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Thanks, Harry. Looks yummy! "This woman" has C&P'ed the recipe and will give it a try in the fall (I can't believe I'm counting the days until "first frost"). Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy post-op? What will the home nurse say (I imagine you'll bribe her/him with a taste of this).

Thanks, Harry. Looks yummy! "This woman" has C&P'ed the recipe and will give it a try in the fall (I can't believe I'm counting the days until "first frost"). Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy post-op? What will the home nurse say (I imagine you'll bribe her/him with a taste of this).
"this woman" is more than welcome!!.harry very rarely does as he's told/takes it easy!!
no day care now,not needed cw.stitches have dissolved,dressings off,wounds healed & i start proper physio in the clinics heated pool on friday.the physio is a very pretty blonde lady who also gets in the pool.......oh happy days....think i'll break something else when this one has healed:LOL:!!

"this woman" is more than welcome!!.harry very rarely does as he's told/takes it easy!!
no day care now,not needed cw.stitches have dissolved,dressings off,wounds healed & i start proper physio in the clinics heated pool on friday.the physio is a very pretty blonde lady who also gets in the pool.......oh happy days....think i'll break something else when this one has healed:LOL:!!
Oh--you sly fox!:LOL:

Oh my that does look good! I haven't eaten yet and my stomach now just told me its time to chow down!

Yeppers. looks Good. I is getting ahead on the C/ P recipes in D/C. I / we just discovered Malay cooking a few weeks ago. I have to try this one.

Looks fab, Harry! Have you tried this recipe with Thai sweet basil? That's one of those ingredients I really like in Thai curries. I don't know if it's traditional or not, but I always toss in a handful of chopped basil right before serving.

I love Rendang. I have a similar recipe that calls for sirloin strips and bamboo shoots. :yum:

They save the hairy smelly brute physios for folks who purposely break things:rolleyes:

Yeppers. looks Good. I is getting ahead on the C/ P recipes in D/C. I / we just discovered Malay cooking a few weeks ago. I have to try this one.

Looks fab, Harry! Have you tried this recipe with Thai sweet basil? That's one of those ingredients I really like in Thai curries. I don't know if it's traditional or not, but I always toss in a handful of chopped basil right before serving.

I love Rendang. I have a similar recipe that calls for sirloin strips and bamboo shoots. :yum:

Nice one, Harry.
thanks chaps!hope you enjoy it!beef is the,dare i say it "traditional!!" ingredient steve;).i make it with stewing steak & put it in a covered dish in the oven for long & slow cooking.sirloin sounds excellent 'cos that could be cooked in the wok too....must try that.
never tried it with thai basil steve...rarely see it in the shops here & bolas & i tried to grow it in the greenhouse with the toms but it attracted/got killed by white & greenfly:mad:!! do love the stuff tho'...when i can get it!would compliment the anise flavour
i also make this one with skinless/bone in chicken thighs or cubed turkey thigh......chuck out the rule book,burn the recipes,hang the purists.....food is meant to be fun....:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

Last edited:
They save the hairy smelly brute physios for folks who purposely break things:rolleyes:
well hello stranger:)!!
only on the national health service princess,when you are paying over here(well,the healthcare insurance is paying)the more you break,the prettier the physios get....cynical?moi?.....never:LOL:!!

I love Rendang too..YUMMO!!

Back
Top Bottom