"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Red face ISO help/tips cooking pork shoulder steaks

I have these pork shoulder steaks. They are about 13 inches long and 1 inch thick. I don't own a grill. Can I cook in the oven? What other ingrediants in the aluminum foil, and for how long? what temperature? I bought these by mistake and don't want them to be tough.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Everymom

You got a frying pan? Or a wok? And I'm not sure what you would put in a foil package. You could likely do a lot of veggies or potatoes etc.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Any brazing recipe would make them tender and tasty...In the oven, on the stove, crock pot, in foil etc...My first choice would be -- Cut into serving size pieces...season and brown...make a brown (paper bag) roux -- Add chopped onion, pepper, and celery to the roux for 10 minutes or so...Add chicken stock to make a gravy...season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, thyme etc...add the pork steaks back into the gravy and slowly simmer until fork tender...Serve with rice or mashed potatoes....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Red face novice cook

thanks Uncle Bob. It sounds delicious. I hate to ask this, but what is a brown (paper bag) roux?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfounded View Post
thanks Uncle Bob. It sounds delicious. I hate to ask this, but what is a brown (paper bag) roux?
I'm sorry....A roux cooked to the color of a brown paper bag...or maybe peanut butter if you prefer!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Red face novice cook

Thanks Uncle Bob. I hate to take up more of your time, but I really am a novice cook. Could you please tell me what a roux is, and how to make it. Your recipe sounds delicious, and I really would like to try it.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

In simplest of terms a roux is a mixture of flour and a fat that is slowly cooked over low heat. It is used to thicken soups, sauces, gravies etc. Light colors of roux...white, blonde etc are normally made with butter while the darker ones are made with oils, canola, peanut or bacon or beef drippings etc...The darker the roux the less it will thicken....So black Cajun roux has almost no ability to thicken, but has it's own unique flavor....

To start...a cast iron skillet is a big plus, but a heavy SS skillet will work too! Start with a 1 to 1 ratio of flour to oil...1 Cup flour to 1 Cup fat (oil)....As you gain experience you can decrease the amount of oil so that your roux is more about browned flour (flavor) than oil...I routinely use around 1 Cup flour to 1/2 Cup oil. --- Heat the oil to a medium temperature...stir in the flour. Stir constantly until the flour is browned to the desired color...Keep the heat very low to prevent burning...Don't get this stuff on you...In some circles it is called "Cajun Napalm"...It will burn you severely!!!

Enjoy!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Wink novice cook

Thank you. I think I've got it now. I'll try this tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You're Welcome....Let me know how you like it!

Enjoy!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I just wanted to add so there is no confusion...The 1 Cup to 1 Cup ratio is just an example...That's a lot of roux...You may need a lot less to cook the pork steaks you have...depending on how many people you plan to serve...etc. You may want to go with less...say 1/3 Cup to 1/3 Cup -- To much gravy is better than not enough however..

Fun.......

Tags
None