ISO Your Best Rib Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, Kayelle...there's just something about ribs on the grill. You'll love it and I'm sure they'll be perfect. :yum:

I do pretty much the same as mentioned, and use a dry rub, par-bake them covered in the oven, and finish on the grill. Yummy...I love ribs.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Cheryl but I was a bit apprehensive about grilled ribs.

I didn't want to heat up the oven on this beautiful day so I wrapped them up in foil (well seasoned from last night) and put them in a pan. I lit the two outside burners on my gas grill to low and placed the pan in the middle. There it stayed for two hours. I had a wonderful alone time as I read my good book, listened to music and drank a little too much wine on this beautiful day. The thermometer on the grill lid read 250 degrees but who knows if it was correct, and by that time I didn't care. I was out of my favorite barbeque sauce so I made my own on the side burner and slathered them with the sauce and then grilled on the open flame till perfectly golden and returned them to the foil covered pan to cook for about an hour more. They were without a doubt, the best ribs I've ever made.
I don't like ribs "falling off the bone" and these had the "perfect" amount of resistance that had each of us sounding like the scene in "When Harry Met Sally". Wow..........they were good!

Thanks for your vote of confidence Cheryl but I was a bit apprehensive about grilled ribs.

I didn't want to heat up the oven on this beautiful day so I wrapped them up in foil (well seasoned from last night) and put them in a pan. I lit the two outside burners on my gas grill to low and placed the pan in the middle. There it stayed for two hours. I had a wonderful alone time as I read my good book, listened to music and drank a little too much wine on this beautiful day. The thermometer on the grill lid read 250 degrees but who knows if it was correct, and by that time I didn't care. I was out of my favorite barbeque sauce so I made my own on the side burner and slathered them with the sauce and then grilled on the open flame till perfectly golden and returned them to the foil covered pan to cook for about an hour more. They were without a doubt, the best ribs I've ever made.
I don't like ribs "falling off the bone" and these had the "perfect" amount of resistance that had each of us sounding like the scene in "When Harry Met Sally". Wow..........they were good!

NIce :punk:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My best are St Louis style spareribs, membrane removed. I apply a thin layer of yellow mustard and then the rub. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
Next day remove the ribs from the fridge and let them come up to room temp.
I prepare the smoker with fruit wood chips (apple, cherry)
Place ribs on the smoker and let them go for 4 hrs at a temp of 225 - 250.
After 4 hrs, remove the ribs to a sheets of aluminum foil, slather with a St Louis style sauce and wrap them tight, and let them rest for 1/2 hr.
Unwrap and enjoy.

Flyer, I like the idea of yellow mustard under the spice rub. I have to give that a go.
Give it a try. It has little effect on the actual final taste but is a good binder for your rub. And, it does seem to give you a thicker Bark. Certainly a Bark with a somewhat different texture than you would get without it. It's amazing on a pork butt. :pig:

Loved reading about your rib grilling success, Kayelle! I could almost taste them. I don't care for falling-off-the-bone either, well, I'd eat it but to me that's almost too done. I wanna chew them off the bone a little like a true carnivore. :yum::LOL:

Sounds like your ribs were great. I prefer my ribs with the texture you describe. DW likes hers to fall off the bone, and almost be mush. I always cater to her desires when cooking, except when she's not home. Then I go crazy and all experimental, or is that just plain mental:ohmy::LOL:.

Anyway, good job.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You're right RB we seem to regularly go over the subject. I have the oven method perfected but today I'm doing them on the grill so wish me luck.;)

Looks like you did not need any good luck. It also looks like you enjoyed the wine!
I know I would enjoy the wine, beer or spirits. Something about cooking and drinking that goes so well together. Cooking and especially BBQ'ing or smoking.
In fact, I am ready for a beer right now.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was I use liquid smoke when I cook mine inside. And I am will you and the others that like a "bite" to their ribs. They can be too soft.

I sous vide mine - then sauce them and finish on the grill or with a blow torch.

For me, ribs are best with that flavor that comes up fro melted fat burning on hot charcoal, and making that wonderful smoke. The smoke particles deposit on the meat, giving it that characteristic grilled flavor. Wood smoke combines with that flavor, and sauce enhances everything.

I don't need the bark. I crave the combined flavors of pork, and the two smoke flavors. A good sauce completes the dish. Add to that some really good veggies and I'm in hog heaven.

I've tried using a propane torch on the meat, back in my learning/testing days. Yes it will brown the meat, even burn it if the flame is left on the meat long enough. But like a broiler, it doesn't produce that rich grilled flavor that comes from smoke deposition.

That being said, sous vide would be a wonderful way to bring the meat up to the proper temperature, making it so very tender, and capturing all of the pork flavor. After that, how you choose to finish it is personal preference. Thanks for the idea.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom