"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to pevaang
Need help with pork chop recipe

I am cooking some pork chops for my dad and his wife on sunday and I need a good recipe.

I have never cooked pork chops before so I dont know about them. I picked a family pack from Wegmans that are about an inch thick. I was thinking of stuffing them with something, although most of the recipes I have found call for cream of mushroom soup. Now there are a few things on God's green earth I dont like or eat and mushrooms are one of them.

I have thought about maybe substituting cream of mushroom for cream of chicken but I was thinking that it might throw off the taste of the pork chops.

Any help would be appreciated!

thank you,

-jeremy

Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Jeremy,
So sorry to hear about your dislike for shrooms! I absolutely luv em
Don't know what your recipe is, but if it calls for a "cream of" type soup, you may be able to sub cream of celery soup for the cream of mushroom.
Good luck!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I don't like mushrooms either and always sub cream of celery soup for cream of mushroom soup.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

a delish and simple recipe... season and brown the chops, then in a dutch oven bake covered at 350 for 45 min with potatoes halved, baby carrots, and artichoke hearts (frozen plain not marinated) several pinches of Thyme and a little chicken broth or white wine in the bottom of the pan.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I usually brine my chops then saute with a simple pan sauce or brush with EVOO and sprinkle with fav seasoning and bake. If you want to use a cream soup that's not mushroom I agree with JohnL. that cream of celery would be the best option.

BTW, I'm soooooooo jealous you have a Wegman's. I love Wegman's but Kroger is king here. And Kroger doesn't begin to compare. Wegman rocks but I'll never see one here in Krogerland.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I would substitute a nice cream of broccoli or cream of asparagas soup for the cream of mushroom and stuff the chops.

If they are boneless you may want to cut them into half inch cutlets and wrap them in bacon or pancetta and saute them in olive oil with some white wine and chaillots or capers.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thickly seasoned with dried thyme, crushed garlic, and a pinch each of black pepper, salt, and rubbed sage.

Grill/broil till done.

Recipes calling for canned soup are evil. :D

Never been to a Wegmans, but used to live near a Kroger. Didn't try the pork, though. The John Morrel brand that K-Mart carries is heavenly. :)
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Oh how I miss Wegmans!!!! That is one of my first stops when we arrive in NY in May. As for pork chops, we have been seasoning them with a chimichurri sauce & grilling them. The ones we buy here (in Mexico) are really thick & when cooked until just pink in the center they are very juicy & delicious. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you may want to get one. Pork can easily be overcooked, we have lots of family members who do this & then it is chewy & tough.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'd season them with S&P, stuff them with prepared Stove Top Stuffing, sear in skillet with a bit of olive oil, then pour over soup of your choice (cream of chicken will be just fine), cover, and finish in 300-325 oven.

Since you're cooking for your Dad and his wife, take it easy on yourself. They're gonna think it's so sweet that you cooked for them, they aren't going to be that critical.

What are you going to fix as side dishes with your chops? I'd recommend baked potatoes with butter and sour cream, some good crusty bread, and a nice salad. You could sub baked sweet potatoes with butter for the white potatoes, if you wish.

You could also add vegies in with the pork chops when you put them in to cook...potato wedges, baby carrots, broccoli florets, asparagus tips, cabbage quarters, brussels sproutsl..whatever you have.

Strawberrry shortcake would sure make a nice dessert.

Tags
None