"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used to brown chops and some onion and then dump a can of Del Monte stewed tomatoes on and cook until everything was warm and the meat was no longer pink inside - ~ 160 F.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Just a note, some soups are condensed and require additional liquid.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Just a note, some soups are condensed and require additional liquid.
They require liquid to turn them back into soup, but if you're using it as a sauce, it requires little or no additional liquid. I usually add some chicken broth to add flavor, then let it reduce down again to a sauce consistency.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I used to brown the chops. Then add a sliced onion and steps of green bell pepper. Meanwhile slice a couple of potatoes skin and all. Stir into the onions/peppers. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Plop the chops on top and dump on a can of cream of mushroom soup and a half can of milk. Put the cover on and cook on low til the potatoes are done. But, please go buy yourself a few basic spices! Or, buy a pot or two of fresh herbs for your window sill.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Love spellcheck... That should be "strips" of bell pepper.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

if it is no too late, this is one of my favorite ways to prepare pork chops, compliments of Kadesma

Pork in Onion Sauce TNT
Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Something I did with pork chops when I was home alone on evening; I think I was about 14 years old at the time. I heated a frying pan over medium heat. With just a touch of oil in the pan, I cooked 2 chops until they just started browning on both sides. I added a couple tablespoons of sherry wine that my parents had in the house, covered the pan, and cooked for about five more minutes. The chops were tender, moist, and tasted wonderful. I think it's the only time I ever enjoyed the flavor of any alcoholic beverage in cooking. Oh, one of my boys made a pretty good chicken marsalla once.

Other than that, I detest the flavor of wine in food.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Cream of soups in general seem to work well with pork chops. Dumplings would be good and so would egg noodles, although you might want to add a little water to the cream of soup if doing the egg noodles. Frozen soup or stew veggies are also good cooked into it. I've added canned green beans, mushrooms, and corn at one time or another. Sometimes I just use one of them, sometimes more than one. Just make sure to drain them first. A can of french onion soup also works well in place of the cream of soups.

All of those will also work with b/s chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or cut up chicken leg quarters.

I hope your meal turned out tastey.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Other than that, I detest the flavor of wine in food.
You shouldn't be able to taste the wine as such in your finished dish. It's there to enrich the flavour of the whole not to jump up and down shouting "Here I am, here I am".

If you are getting a strident alcohol flavour that overpowers the rest of the ingredients you probably haven't cooked the wine down enough. I have a recipe for a French beef casserole which requires half a bottle of wine reduced to a few spoonsful!

And you know what they say - never cook with a wine you wouldn't be happy to drink. If it isn't fit to drink it isn't fit to cook with.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
You shouldn't be able to taste the wine as such in your finished dish. It's there to enrich the flavour of the whole not to jump up and down shouting "Here I am, here I am".
One person's enriched flavor is another person's ewww! I made a beer-cheese dip for a party and a group of people were digging in, raving about it, and another person came to taste it. She spit it out and said why didn't you warn me? We're like, about what? It's good! But she couldn't stand the flavor. Such is life.

Tags
other, pork, pork chops