"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

3-2-1 ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
to make the ribs tender before you bbq them.. about how long do you put them in the oven with water
OH NO, not rib soup! I know im a lil bit late on this one, but if i can help someone achieve the perfect ribs in the future, ill have done my duty. This is a lil time consuming, but then again, if ya want good results...... If you have a decent oven thermometer, and a gas grill, try to set it on the lowest setting that you can and try to get 250*-275* If you cant get it this low, just use the oven and skip the wood chips, or go get a smoker. add ribs prepared how ever your heart desires (my personal fav is memphis dry rubbed) and some wood chips in a foil pouch or a chip tray and cook for 3 hours, take out and wrap in foil with a splash of apple juice for 2 hrs. At this point, the meat should be pulling back from the bones. Remove from the foil and put them back onto the grill for another hour, mopping with your choice of sauce on about 10 min intervels. They should be fall off the bone tender and as moist as you ever had.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Everymom

Hey guys, its great that y'all offered suggestions to Debbie, but you might want to check the date on her initial post. She hasn't been here for a couple of years now.

I know lots of folks will be happy to see your advice though. Just didn't want you to be disappointed when she didn't reply to you.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
She hasn't been here for a couple of years now.
I know lots of folks will be happy to see your advice though.
Isnt that the point of this forum, to share advice with others. even if it dont help the original poster, someone will read it eventually and just may find something of value there....right?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
Everymom

Yes smokeyblue it is, did you read the last bit I posted?
Quote:
Just didn't want you to be disappointed when she didn't reply to you.
Lots of folks check back to see if their response to the OP has been noted. Since this thread is so old I wanted to make sure no one was disappointed. You in particular quoted the OP. Perhaps you'd already noted how old the thread was.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yes smokeyblue it is, did you read the last bit I posted?

Lots of folks check back to see if their response to the OP has been noted. Since this thread is so old I wanted to make sure no one was disappointed. You in particular quoted the OP. Perhaps you'd already noted how old the thread was.
Bingo, i did say something about being late to post on the thread and am aware of the fact that it is stale. I quoted the OP so that ppl wouldnt be like "WTF?" when i said rib soup refering to boiling ribs.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I put a rub on the ribs and put them in the smoker. I also add a pan of apple juice in the smoker. I baste the ribs with the apple juice about every 45 min or so. Usually takes about 4 hours at 200-225. I want the bones loose in the socket. Then paint on the sauce and glaze at 350-400 for maybe ten minutes. Let rest for 15 min, cut up and serve with a bowel of sauce for those who want more.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

boil ribs??? in water??? oh no......not that, low, slow with plenty of smoke, don't know what id use the water for...
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddfoot View Post
boil ribs??? in water??? oh no......not that, low, slow with plenty of smoke, don't know what id use the water for...
I have heard of people boiling ribs - I don't know the point of that either. I do put a little water in the bottom of my pan - and I do mean " a very little bit" - not even covering - I was told that it helps steam - I don't know - but I do know they are always very flavorful and very tender - usually falling off the bone. Some people don't like fall off the bone though, fortunately, this family does!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
I have heard of people boiling ribs - I don't know the point of that either. I do put a little water in the bottom of my pan - and I do mean " a very little bit" - not even covering - I was told that it helps steam - I don't know - but I do know they are always very flavorful and very tender - usually falling off the bone. Some people don't like fall off the bone though, fortunately, this family does!
i can see a bit in the pan, i use a seperate water pan in my smoker but thats more to help regulate the temp, i like fall off the bone too, if you want to work at it then just cook st louis style.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

ribs

2014 and the thread is still delivering.
thanks for the tips
i will dry a dry rub and then bake low at 250 with some apple juice for 2 before grilling
thanks to all,
ted

Tags
None