"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
When I bake my spare ribs prior to the rest of what I do, I collect the "broth" and use it for soup, etc.
Yep, with all the bones ribs make great stock. plus you can still eat the ribs.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
Head Chef

Gosh, to me you have asked two questions.

The first is what to do with ham (smoked piggy) stock.

We make it all the time from ham bones, hocks, anything smoked, or cured, from Mr. Pig.

It is a great base for soups. Rarely get beyond making pea soup because we love it so much, but will go to lentil soup, or any bean soup. Or maybe a caldo gallego. There are so many uses.

Or can cook greens in it. Course you can always just toss toss some smoked pig trotters into the dish if you don't have the stock.

Then there is number two, fresh pork stock. Made from bones and pork bits that have not been cured.

A fine stock. Particularly good for making rice. (Can make a great rice dish with the stock from cured ham as well.)

Fresh pork stock will work in any dish one would use chicken stock.

Hate to toss out anything that hasn't been used up and so we make stocks.

Just the way we do things.

Take care.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think pork stock, made in advance, will be a permanent weapon in my cooking arsenal. I prefer it to chicken stock for a growing number of uses, but I can't find serious discussions of the topic. I am sure there is wider use of it in professional kitchens, but surprisingly, don't see discussion of it. I would very much welcome anyone pointing out what I have overlooked.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

One more thing really great about using Minors soup bases and that is that you don't need to have anything frozen or brewed ahead of time. Just heat some water and mix the pork base - or any other flavor and BANG - your stock is ready to use however you want - 5 minutes - and its always the same- consistent.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Cook

I'm a big fan of Minors (have 5 types in the fridge right now) but I still like to make a traditional stock & add some Minors after straining to really give the stock a deep flavor. I use their low sodium varieties in lots of dishes other than soups.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
Master Chef

I have been known to say, "Are you throwing that away?" when at someone's house after a ham dinner! "Are you crazy? Wrap it and give it to me!" Then, of course, I give them a pint or quart of the bean or pea soup I make from it. No one has complained or said I was tacky.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I have been known to say, "Are you throwing that away?" when at someone's house after a ham dinner! "Are you crazy? Wrap it and give it to me!" Then, of course, I give them a pint or quart of the bean or pea soup I make from it. No one has complained or said I was tacky.

Ha! I do that too. At least with my sister. She's good for a couple of hams a year. I even got a ham bone from Costco onece when they were doing a demo of the Carando/Kirkland spiral cut. The demo guy didn't want to give it to me but the manager said OK.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
Sous Chef

smoked chicken

Years ago my Mom had a smoked chicken that she got at a local farmers market. The taste was wonderful (more delicate than ham but still with that yummy smoked flavor) and I was lucky enough to get the carcass. It made a fantastic stock. It seems that smoked *anything* is a wonderful addition to liquid for beans.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Head Chef

Actually make two different pork stocks.

One is the ham bone, smoked cured pork stock and the other is a fresh ham stock made from the bones of a fresh ham, or a pork loin, or shoulder.

Both are quite different and distinct. And both are great for sauces or soups.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #20
Master Chef

Dot, yes! I was confused when this line came up. I do also make stock from fresh pork bones.

For our vegetarian friends, grill some veggies (onions, squash, tomatoes, leeks, etc) over charcoal. Eat some as is -- great over pasta or rice. But take the rest, chop, and add water. You'd be surprised that there is no meat in it. Mom calls this "Claire's ratatoille" and asks for it any time I visit. The point is, though, that you can get that smoked flavor in a number of ways.

Tags
None