RECIPE: Pork Chile Verde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Pork Chile Verde

4 lbs. pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into large chunks
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
3 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
2 Anaheim or poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
1 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 bay leaves
1 bunch cilantro leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
4 cups chicken stock

Season pork generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown pork well on all sides. This may need to be done in batches. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.

Discard all but 2 tbsp. fat and add the onions and bell peppers to the pot; sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Saute over moderate heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula and scraping up the browned bits, till softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles and garlic and cook another few minutes

Add tomatillos, oregano, cumin, coriander, bay leaves and cilantro to the pot; stir to combine. Add meat and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the chicken stock, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2-3 hours, uncovered, till pork is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

Servings: 8

Serve with Mexican rice and top with pickled red onions.

I also served Ham, Cheddar and Poblano Corn Muffins with this.

Thanks for sharing, GG. I am always looking for things to do with tomatillos (which self-seed and grow like weeds). I make a salsa verde that I use for chicken enchilladas, now I have a recipe for a pork dish with tomatillos (and no, substituting green tomatoes is not the same--but you can prep tomatillos when in season--here they are in season late August-early September, freeze, and do something with them later in the year).

Thanks, all :) CWS, I used garden tomatillos and jalapenos frozen whole for this. It can be used lots of different ways, for just about any Mexican-style filling. I might make enchiladas later in the week.

GG, this looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I can see this hitting the table soon!

awesome, gg. this one's right up my alley. there's some really good mexican "farmer's" markets near me that i've been meaning to visit.

c&p'd. thanks. :chef:

Thanks, all :) CWS, I used garden tomatillos and jalapenos frozen whole for this. It can be used lots of different ways, for just about any Mexican-style filling. I might make enchiladas later in the week.
Oh--I have never frozen tomatillos whole--I usually peel and then chop them and cook for about 8-10 minutes, then I puree them and put in a zip lock. Do you freeze them with the paper still on?

Thanks, all :)

CWS, no, I remove the husk and rinse them, then put 1 lb. in quart-size freezer bags. After thawing, I put them in the food processor to chop roughly. They're pretty watery after thawing, so it's much easier than chopping on a board.

I also made roasted tomatillo salsa and froze that in jars. It makes a nice topping for enchiladas or tacos.

I'd have to pull out my salsa recipe, but I think I cook them whole and then run them through the FP. I hate the stickiness of them when cleaning them. I pressure can my salsa, but freezing it makes a lot of sense. Because tomatillos are often ready the same time as the end of the sweet corn, I often add corn to the salsa.

I'd have to pull out my salsa recipe, but I think I cook them whole and then run them through the FP. I hate the stickiness of them when cleaning them. I pressure can my salsa, but freezing it makes a lot of sense. Because tomatillos are often ready the same time as the end of the sweet corn, I often add corn to the salsa.

I pretty much follow this recipe by Rick Bayless for Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, but I don't like raw onions, so I roast that along with the other veggies.

Back
Top Bottom