"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Ok.. so we went to Costco and because of a certain thread I now have some ribs for tomorrow.

I'll either thank you or THANK you tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well for what it is worth, this is how I do it.

I remove the membrane from the back of the ribs and rub them down. I smoke them at 250 degrees for an hour and a half or two hours, then don't add any more smoking chips, I have made ribs that I thought were too smoky. I continue cooking them at 250 basting them with a bbq sauce (I do this to keep them from drying out after smoking) for another 3 hours or so until the meat starts to shrink away from the bone, when this happens, they should be tender.

Since I smoke on a grill (indirect cooking) after they are tender, I crank up the heat and let the sauce bubble and turn into a glaze.

This is from the last batch that I cooked.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
Head Chef

Ok so i'm really curious about this smoking thing, don't get me wrong i've seen it on the FN, but I don't get it... How do I learn how to do it, and what do I need??? Any manly men out there to give a gal some help...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Ok so i'm really curious about this smoking thing, don't get me wrong i've seen it on the FN, but I don't get it... How do I learn how to do it, and what do I need??? Any manly men out there to give a gal some help...
Hey hey hey!!! Women ( Me ) smoke..
You need a weber, or a smoker, Few others are available to.. yeah they got some great ones on the market.. One in particular I want..But nooo...
Wood chips. Imagination. It's a lot of fun easy to learn how to do. Great stuff about it in the grilling section.

Munky.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

Oh Munky me so sorry (tail between legs) I didn't know you were a smokin gal... So a regular weber grill or weber smoker thingamajiggy???
Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I smoke on a gas grill, a Char Griller to be exact. I have 3 burners running front to back. I only use one burner, the one to the far right (or left, if that's your thing).

I make a "smoke bomb" by soaking wood chips (found in the grill section of Lowe's and Home Depot) in water for 30 minutes, just a couple big handfuls. I drain the wood chips and wrap them up in foil, don't have to get fancy about it. Poke a couple holes in the foil and place over the one lit burner (I remove the grate from this part of the grill to get them right on top of the flame), place the ribs on the grill away from the burner and adjust the flame on the lit burner to maintain 250 degrees inside the grill. Close the lid and let 'em smoke! I move the ribs around once or twice because the ones closer to the flame side of the grill will cook quicker, but otherwise, just leave them alone.

This method can be adapted to charcoal grill, just takes a bit more finesse! Great thing is, if you have a gas grill or a weber no special equipment needed!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Great thing is, if you have a gas grill or a weber no special equipment needed!
What do you mean by that BC???
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Honey Badger

ROFL!!!! No worries. Was messin with ya
Seriously though.. I have 2 smokers. A Weber and a big daddy propane grill.
Love them all.
I think you would be happy with a Weber. Weber is a great product, they are easy to find, versatile, tough grills. It's up to you to decide on what one would suit your needs best. Weber Grills and Accessories

Have fun..

Munky.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I do the same thing bakechef does. I think he means you don't have to buy a smoker. You can use gas grill. Most recently I did the ABTs (stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon) this way.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do the same thing bakechef does. I think he means you don't have to buy a smoker. You can use gas grill. Most recently I did the ABTs (stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon) this way.
Yup, what he said!

I would love to have a smoker some day, but a regular grill can be adapted to work just fine.

Tags
None